No announcement yet.

wanna do a cam, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i as of yesterday, finished assembly of my m20 head i bought the 272 cam and upgraded rockers because that was the reason i had it apart anyways and they break i've been told commmonly, to revuild the whole top end of my car pretty much for about 2500 and that was finding all the cheapest prices from bav, pelican, vac, and ireland... i have some experience building engins and this one took me a while the bently is pretty good i mostly followed it and it ws good but if i didnt have prior knowledge it would have taken alot longer... it took my almost 3 solid days to do it working on it like 20 hours a day litterally.
    sigpic

Comment

i also would port your intake manifold and head if you wanted to go that far, i did. it runs good just having electrical problems now :( left me stranded on the side of the freeway yesterday. and just have the machine shop disassemble and assemble the valves for you. its just easyest
      sigpic

Comment

Cool. I had problems with mine when it was back together too. Took a few days of tinkering with it to get it to run properly. Still is hard to start cold. I also port matched the intake and head to the gasket, the exhaust had a lot more material to remove to match the gasket and exhaust, so it took longer, but it was worth it to me too. The valves were kind of a PITA, but def. not bad enough to pay someone to do it for me. Like I said, about 10 minutes a valve to take out and put in. I also lapped the valves while they were out. Glad to hear you got it done!!

Comment

BTW, is there a noticeable difference with the cam?

Comment

that depends on your cam, and what else you have done.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

when i did my cam i didnt notice too much yet but i havent got to drive it yet really i havent been getting any crank signal from it and its a new sensor and a different computer didnt fix it or let it fire
              sigpic

Comment

Post a "cam feel" thread when you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                  in that case, no

RANT: why the hell do noobs come and ask "can I do this, can I do that...", like we know you that well or something. Either you can or you can't, and that's a queston you need to ask yourself. In reality, if you have to ask, then you can't. /RANT

sorry bimmerking, that was not directed at you per se, but noobs in general. Real queston: do YOU think you can remove and rebuild a head?
                  i can understand why people who know more about working on cars get cranky about noobs asking what they deem dumb question, but everyone needs to start some where right? no one is born knowing how to take a head apart. everyone has to learn at some point. to my understanding this is one of the main functions of an automotive forum. so that people who know less about something can find out what they need to know from people who know what they are talking about.
                  i do not know why people on r3v are always so unwilling to give out information. makes no sens to me. on all the other car forums i am on and have been on such as the 02faq page people have been quick to answer question with great detaled answers.
                  with that said the only way to find out if you can do something is to do it. just get a manual and dive into the project. if you get into soemthing that is to much for you to handle you can always take it into a shop and they can finish it for you.
                  sigpic
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Right on deutschman.

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                      the only way to find out if you can do something is to do it. just get a manual and dive into the project. if you get into soemthing that is to much for you to handle you can always take it into a shop and they can finish it for you.
                      very true. and a lot of people think their abilities are greater than they really are/ think things are simpler than they really are! thats when things go wrong. really, if you work with your hands, just follow the bentley step by step and heed their warnings and you should be able to get through most jobs. also having another person or two around for input is very helpful even if they arent more skilled than you. other people will see things and think of things you wont.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon View Post
                        very true. and a lot of people think their abilities are greater than they really are/ think things are simpler than they really are! thats when things go wrong. really, if you work with your hands, just follow the bentley step by step and heed their warnings and you should be able to get through most jobs. also having another person or two around for input is very helpful even if they arent more skilled than you. other people will see things and think of things you wont.
                        +1
                        it always helps to have an extra set of eyes around.
                        sigpic
                        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Working...
                        X