piston options for NA stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piston options for NA stroker

I'm planning to use an eta bottom end with my i block and i head. I don't plan on FI so I'm looking to go pretty high compression. There is a ton of info on turbo/low compression options but not so much NA. This is probably due to the fact that there is little power to be gained NA, but I don't want to start that argument so keep it to yourself.

I know that I can use the i pistons or maybe some from a euro eta(valve-piston interference?), but I am curious as to what other options there are.

Custom, oem, aftermarket?

What's out there?

UBER RARE!!!

:up:

Comment

if I were to do it again, i would go with MM's rallye pistons (11:1) and the schrick 288. I would also have gone with the 84mm crank instead of the eta crank.. the whole thing would have only cost a few hundred bucks more.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        if I were to do it again, i would go with MM's rallye pistons (11:1) and the schrick 288. I would also have gone with the 84mm crank instead of the eta crank.. the whole thing would have only cost a few hundred bucks more.
        why not the 89.6?
        90 E30 325i

Comment

whats pistons and cam did you use instead?

Comment

Originally posted by guibo09 View Post
            why not the 89.6?
            cuz they're more expensive?
            1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by structured View Post
              whats pistons and cam did you use instead?
              mm sport pistons and a 284/272

it's not bad I just wish for a little more. ;)
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                cuz they're more expensive?
                and harder to find.. there were a couple 84mm cranks out there when I was looking. Ended up getting a 2.7 bottom end on a trade for a 3.91 rear diff.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

mm sport pistons and a 284/272
                  good combo imo

did you go with .5mm oversize?
                  1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

2mm, anything less is a waste IMO when pistons cost over $1k :p
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Do you guys have opinions on buying used pistons? ie. the ones linked above?

I'll keep MM in mind, but for now I'm feeling out the budget build. Putting $3-4000 worth of motor in my $2000 car doesn't make sense right now.

Comment

Originally posted by structured View Post
                        Do you guys have opinions on buying used pistons? ie. the ones linked above?

I'll keep MM in mind, but for now I'm feeling out the budget build. Putting $3-4000 worth of motor in my $2000 car doesn't make sense right now.
                        it'll never make sense. Most budget builds aren't worth anything, you really have to go all out to get anywhere with an M20.. that's why so many people swap in E36 motors.

nothing really wrong with used pistons if they are in good shape, you just have less options for what you can do with CR, displacement, and weight.

BTW flat top pistons aren't going to be so great in the 885 chamber, you're going to lose out on all the quench area that makes the 885 a pretty decent 2v design.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

it'll never make sense. Most budget builds aren't worth anything, you really have to go all out to get anywhere with an M20.. that's why so many people swap in E36 motors.

nothing really wrong with used pistons if they are in good shape, you just have less options for what you can do with CR, displacement, and weight.
                          I'm aware of all of this, but I'm just looking to have some fun building then driving a motor. My M20 currently leaks oil from just about everywhere and I'm pretty sure that coolant is leaking through my headgasket.

Also, I don't want to have my car apart for a long period of time, so I want to build a motor separately and be able to swap it in without major fab.

So now maybe you can see why I am not looking for other swaps. Just want something that has been refurbished and is fun to drive. I have enough fun with my 230k mile M20 as it is.

Thanks for your input to this thread btw, it's been helpful. :up:

Comment

2mm, anything less is a waste IMO when pistons cost over $1k :p
                            off topic: do you need an oversize head gasket or is a stock replacement good for 86mm?
                            90 E30 325i

Comment

stock is fine
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X