CAM Seal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAM Seal...

I apologize in advance if this question has already been posted...

I dropped off my 89' 325is at a local shop to have it looked over since I just bought it. They said it checked out just fine! BUT - it does need a CAM Seal and a oil return line. I found the seal at BAV, np.
    My question, how much of a pain in the ass is it going to be to replace the CAM seal? I'm new to e30's and not very familiar with them yet :oops:(Had a 02' GTI 1.8T previous to my new e30).

Something I should leave to the pros or should a novice be able to handle it at home?? Perhaps nothing to worry about?? Any advise is appreciated!
    Thanks guys!! Paul
    sigpic

its an easy fix,

get the seal AND Oring for the seal housing

You will also need to get a Timing belt and tensioner since you will be releaving the tension on the belt, and a Waterpump and seal if you want to be really through

you will also need an external Torx or Etorx socket, i forget what size to remove the cam pulley,

Start by removing the plugs, wires, cap, radiator hoses, drain coolant, fan shroud, fan clutch.

then put car in gear with wheels on ground and loosten the cam pulley bolt (Etorx)

remove the TB covers and the waterpump and pulley, remove the TB tesioner and the TB.

Remove the cam pulley, remove the 2 m6 bolts holding on the seal housing, pull out old seal and remove housing oring, Press in new seal using a vise or press and a seal driver or very large socket, replace Or ing and lightly lube, tap into place with deadblow hammer, replace 2 M6 bolts, replace pulley, install new waterpump and seal , tenioner and TB, TB covers, hoses, cap , rotor and wires

done

make sure to read through the TB procedure as you will need to pay attention to some markings to c omplete correctly

everyone needs to do this at least once, I would adjust the valves after and replace oil and filter for a job well done

good luck

EDIT:: I should say its an easy fix when you get to the component that is an issue
    88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
    85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

Cool, thanks for the reply! Sounds a bit time consuming! haha
      The car has a new TB/WP as of 1000 miles ago, Should I still need to install new ones?

Thanks again for the reply!
      Paul
      sigpic

Comment

unfortunatley, since you will be removing the tension from the belt, yes you would have to replace it, you could forgo the water pump though

If i were you and it not a bad leak, skip it until next year or next time you are doing the hoses or TB, then you can do it all at once

if its leaking alot, do it

if it just barly weeping, leave it
        85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

Exactly, if it is just drooling a bit, just keep it wiped down and watch it. It isn't a big deal unless it's losing a lot of oil there.

Unfortunately, it should have been done with the timing belt. That's the best time to do it.
          1987 E30 325is
          1999 E46 323i
          RIP 1994 E32 740iL
          oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I'll have to take a look at it myself and see how bad it's leaking or whats going on with it. I really appreciate the help.
            Thanks for your time!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naplm00 View Post
              unfortunatley, since you will be removing the tension from the belt, yes you would have to replace it, you could forgo the water pump though
              I know this is the conventional wisdom, but it's not true. I've done it myself; seeing how I have non-interference pistons, I thought I'd give it a shot just to see what would happen. had that timing belt for 30,000 miles before I replaced it (had to fix a leaky WP and cam seal). If it has half the miles of a required service (20,000 miles or more), I'd replace it, but with only 1000 miles it will be fine. I think a couple of the guys who are techs (mikeedler?) said they do it all the time at the shops they work at, too.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                I know this is the conventional wisdom, but it's not true. I've done it myself; seeing how I have non-interference pistons, I thought I'd give it a shot just to see what would happen. had that timing belt for 30,000 miles before I replaced it (had to fix a leaky WP and cam seal). If it has half the miles of a required service (20,000 miles or more), I'd replace it, but with only 1000 miles it will be fine. I think a couple of the guys who are techs (mikeedler?) said they do it all the time at the shops they work at, too.

When i was a tech i did it as well, no reason to replace the belt if it has lots of life left.
                Just make sure when you reinstall the belt, that it is put back into service rotating the same way that it came out.

-Cam
                Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Guys, thanks for the excellent responses. I should have her home tomorrow. Will clean her up and see how she looks. I'll hold off if it doesn't look too bad. Thanks again!
                  sigpic

Comment

last i checked timing belts weren't expensive. it's the time/labor to get to it that counts (whether you do it yourself or not) cheap insurance to replace it imo.
                    '12 F30 328i Sport Line
                    '91 SpecE30 #523
                    '00 Ford F-350 Dually Tow Vehicle

BMWCCA #360858 NASA #

Comment

you sure its a torx? on my head it was just an allen

Comment

Originally posted by I got it, yes!! View Post
                        you sure its a torx? on my head it was just an allen
                        depends on the year
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yea forgot to mention

I forgot tyhat my early ETA had a 10mm (i think) mangled allen in there

and the 88 had a Etorx
                          85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

When installing the cam seal, it's good insurance to apply some Hylomar sealant on the o-ring seal.

I agree with nando on reusing a timing belt with less than 1000 miles on it also.

Comment

Will look into the Hylomar sealant. thanks for the tip!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X