Car shuts down after 2K rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car shuts down after 2K rpm

I was driving to harbor freight yesterday after work when all of a suddenly right before the exit offramp my car just shut off. I coasted to the shoulder and it wouldnt start back right away. The ignition would crank but not turn over.

After waiting for a minute or so the car would start. However even from the neutral position if I hit the gas and went over 2K rpm the car would just shut off with the check engine light and all the other lights as well. So after a few minutes I started it up again and kept it under 2K rpm and luckily there was a gas station around the corner and it was on a downhill slope so I coasted into the station where I called the tow truck.

After the car was towed home, I was on the phone with my friend and he told me to check this and that and nothing helped. Finally he told me to try banging on the AFM and after I did that the car started fine and I was able to drive it around w/out the car dying on me.

Just a note that the car would idle fine before and wouldn't shutter until I revved it past 2K. A few members here offered me a spare AFM so I plan on replacing that part. However I was running if there could be any other reasons why my car was acting the way it did? I read the other thread about the car not revving past 2K but it seemed like he was still able to drive the car w/out it dying on him each time.

I'd like to get more input as to what you guys think could be the problem besides the AFM that I should double check. I"m not too mechanically inclined if it's too technical but I can always refer to my bentley manual so all ideas are welcome. Thanks guys

i dont really have any imput on your problem, but vr2jetta seems to be having the same troubles. and has a fairly long post about what hes swapped and such.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bejbis View Post
      i dont really have any imput on your problem, but vr2jetta seems to be having the same troubles. and has a fairly long post about what hes swapped and such.

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=139548

yeah I read through all that. hopefully swapping out my AFM will cure the problem. If not then I'll start going down the list to replace. thanks though

Comment

get a miller maf and call it a day
        PNW CREW

1990 325is
        Scorpion exhaust
        K&N intake with signature motoring heat shield
        H&R race with bilstien sports
        D-Force wheels/Hankook Ventus RS-2's

Comment

haha ok thanks for the suggestion i'll look into it.

Comment

Yes I have been dealing with this problem too. I would start by checking the codes the CEL is throwing, then go from there. I have heard of AFM causing this problem too, but in my case it seemed to be the fuel pump that was the culprit. I replaced it with a Walbro 255 unit and have not had any problems since. It cost me $99.99 shipped. here is the DIY link:

It was pretty easy to do. I would suggest at least pulling the plug under the intake for the injectors and CTS and checking for corrosion. Mine was terrible! Check codes and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by vr2jetta View Post
              Yes I have been dealing with this problem too. I would start by checking the codes the CEL is throwing, then go from there. I have heard of AFM causing this problem too, but in my case it seemed to be the fuel pump that was the culprit. I replaced it with a Walbro 255 unit and have not had any problems since. It cost me $99.99 shipped. here is the DIY link:

It was pretty easy to do. I would suggest at least pulling the plug under the intake for the injectors and CTS and checking for corrosion. Mine was terrible! Check codes and report back.
              Thanks for your advice. today after work I am going to swap the AFM with my friend's e30 to see if that is the lone culprit. I'll check the codes and check for corrosion in the area you have described. It seems like there's another member on here with a similar problem.

Yesterday I tried driving it after work thinking the problem had been temporarily fixed and I got stuck in the middle of an intersection and had to push it out of traffic. Kept starting and dying on me. Took me 1hour 15 minutes to get home after all the the stops when it normally takes under 10 minutes to get home.

Comment

So here's an update. I wasn't able to pull any codes yet, but my friend came over and we i put his AFM in my car.

Initially i tried to start my car and it started up no problem and idled fine. I moved the car to re park it till my friend arrived. Then I took his AFM and put it in mine and to no surprise it started up fine. I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes and then it shut off on me. This happened 3 times. I didn't bother driving it around and came to the conclusion that the AFM is not the source of the problem. I'm kind of lost now and have no time to deal with it this weekend b/c I will be going down to San Diego tomorrow in my friend's car.

I don't have a code reader to pull up codes now but I guess I can go rent one at autozone/kragen? I'm wondering if I should go get a fuel pump and start by replacing that to see if that solves the problem? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comment

try your ecu and fuel pump or fuel pump relay my car is doing something similar just don't have the cast for a new fuel pump i am going walbro not stock replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by BTP325ic View Post
                    try your ecu and fuel pump or fuel pump relay my car is doing something similar just don't have the cast for a new fuel pump i am going walbro not stock replacement.
                    can you explain a little more about the walbro? Is it an aftermarket pump for the e30?

Comment

sorry that my AFM/MAF didnt work! hope you find your solution soon!

Comment

thanks for swinging by and letting me try yours out. i hope i find a solution soon b/c i love driving that car

Comment

Originally posted by joonsup View Post
                          can you explain a little more about the walbro? Is it an aftermarket pump for the e30?
                          well i heard they pump better plus i am going SR and you need a better pump for those motors,check these links.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Last edited by BTP325ic; 06-24-2009, 11:18 PM.

Comment

thanks for the links. i may consider going with that fuel pump after eliminating other simpler possibilities that I have not tried...or should I say have not been tried on my car by someone who is more knowledgeable than I am.

Comment

do work son!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X