Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So say I wanted a cam for my m20

Schrick 288 or 284?

DD some track duty, running on megasquirt.

What would you say?

284 idles better and low end torque stays the same. Had really hard time getting idle right with 280 and 288.

I still have 280 laying around garage, Schrick hasn't made that one in almost 20 years for a good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
      284 idles better and low end torque stays the same. Had really hard time getting idle right with 280 and 288.

I still have 280 laying around garage, Schrick hasn't made that one in almost 20 years for a good reason.
      I think I might go for a 284. Although I love the sound of James' 288.

Comment

292 and get ITB's and at least 28lb/hr injectors
        be like me. the smog popo will really love you then
        seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Lulzzzzzzzzz

Its gotta LOOK stock.

Comment

pretend it is a benz or audi and make an engine cover;)
            they will never know.

or tell them it is an S-14 or an S-52. they both have ITB's
            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Don't run anything over a 284 with stock pistons without an adjustable cam gear, the clearence is way too tight and you will have valve/piston contact depending on how much you have milled the head.

On a perfectly stock motor that has never had the head pulled MAYBE, but I would not risk it. I've seen 3 blown up M20's running a 284/272 with a stock bottom end (including mine)

Comment

Damn. M50 is looking better and better.

Comment

Nooo Schrick 288 all the way....revs like a sport bike:giggle::nice::mrgreen:

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

288 FTW. Sure, you lose a little torque below 2500, but if you're considering a cam, you're gonna drive it like you mean it. My 2.5 with a 288 revs happily to 7400, though I usually shift around 6900. An adjustable cam gear is definitely a requirement, as is VERY careful checking of P to V clearance.

And the sound!!! Gives me chills every time I wind it up.

Technical note: the 288 is a single pattern, with 288 degrees of advertised duration on both lobes, and a 110-deg LSA. The 284 is a dual-pattern, and has 284 deg intake duration, but only 272 deg on the exhaust, with a 110 deg LSA. Though the numbers may suggest otherwise, there is a BIG difference in cam "size" with the 288's longer exhaust duration. Not surprisingly, the 288 has a lot more overlap, and you will notice/hear/have to deal with it at idle. I've had some sorta-car-guy types ask me if I had a small-block in my car. Duuhhhh.....
                    sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

you aren't going to want a 288 with the 8.8:1 cr of a stock M20.

stick with the 284/272. it will idle fine, make plenty of power in the upper RPM range, and you can get away with using it with motronic and a chip. the 288 is quite a bit more aggressive and you're really just wasting most of it's potential on a stock motor.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                      X