Noob m20 rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob m20 rebuild question

Hey guys im currently on the hunt for an e30 325i, as it will be my project car for the next few months. So my question is, im not to familiar with the m20 engine (current brushing up on it), but lets say i want to rebuild my engine and want to gain some power, what are my options as far as parts when I start rebuilding it to gain some power while stayin n/a (for the time being atleast).
    How is the m20 platform when it comes to making power? I know this is a noob question but i would really appreciate it if you would guide me towards the right parts to gain a decent ammount of power. Tia-Turk

if you cant figure it out from there then you shouldnt be rebuilding an engine by yourself
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
    "So, I cannot make the electronic FI system function properly, so I'm gonna slap a carb on there. "

Sounds like a domestic guy.

Comment

cheap simple na would be a 2.7 stroker. look it up and search for eta bottom end with i head. and you'll find a simple build that should fit your needs. M20s dont make alot of power, for the money you can go other routes. But if you love your m20 like I do then its worth the build up.

Comment

you can make good power from an M20, but it costs money and you have to put some thought and effort into it. a key ingredient usually missing in most M20 strokers is tuning. For most people on r3v they don't want to learn about building and tuning an engine so they just do a 24v swap and call it good.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks for the replies... now ive been hearing alot about the s50 swap, how hard is that swap? im guessing theres some custom fabrication involved to get the new motor mounts in there? or does a vendor make a kit for it?... also how is the s50 platform when it comes to making power?

Comment

Originally posted by RENNTURK View Post
            thanks for the replies... now ive been hearing alot about the s50 swap, how hard is that swap? im guessing theres some custom fabrication involved to get the new motor mounts in there? or does a vendor make a kit for it?... also how is the s50 platform when it comes to making power?
            No custom fabrication that I'm aware of. Except for the brake booster shaft if you don't buy a pre-modifyed one.

You can build an m20 stroker pretty cheap if you know where to look for parts and make a lot of torque with a flat curve and around 180-190hp if you do everything right. You could probably squeeze 200hp out of it with standalone fuel management, good headers etc.

S50 will cost way more $$ but it has more power out of the box than a seriously built m20 can make.

Comment

whats an average price on a s50 motor/tranny with decent miles go for anyway? and wheres the best place i can look to find one? thanks for the input

Comment

theres way more info on 24v swaps then youll get from this thread.

go google 24v e30 and youll see what i mean...
                Originally posted by Lof8
                4 doors allow you to transport more whores.
                therefore, their value is much greater.
                Down to: 89 aw2 332i/4/5 , 70 Sahara 2002

Comment

You can probably get the engine as cheap as 1.5k-2k, but it'll cost you twice that in the end to complete the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 884door View Post
                    You can probably get the engine as cheap as 1.5k-2k, but it'll cost you twice that in the end to complete the swap.

i want some decent power, but my main focus (i strayed off a bit) is to have a very stylish DD with some decent power so im porbably gona stick with the m20, but do you think if i got a decent motor cheap, and did the labor myself it would be worth while to do the swap?

Comment

like i said before, i think im gona stick with the m20, possibly do a stroker

now can you guys guide me to the parts i need to build a stroker motor? any specific thread i can check to see exactly what i need? (parts wise)

Comment

272 cam from CatCo
                        SETA pistons/rods/crankshaft (or custom, let your wallet decide)
                        "i" head, valves, intake, etc.
                        Fleabay headers, full aftermarket exhaust
                        WAR chip with some serious tuning time.

Bigger throttle body, MAF (the miller guys should do a WAR/MAF deal soon) and you should have a streetable M20 at about 200RWHP...with some really serious tuning.

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I don't think you'll get 200whp with that combo, but you could get close.

when it comes to M20s, the most important things are displacement, headwork (that means a good cam, no regrind BS) and tuning.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            I don't think you'll get 200whp with that combo, but you could get close.

when it comes to M20s, the most important things are displacement, headwork (that means a good cam, no regrind BS) and tuning.
                            Yeah, more likely a solid 180ish.

I misspoke.

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              (the miller guys should do a WAR/MAF deal soon)

they already have the package at 600 dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X