Impulse sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impulse sensor

I swapped out my plug wires about 6years ago for Nology wires and chucked out the impulse sensor that was on the factory wires. The car has been running fine but I was wondering if having that gone will cause any issues? poor mpg etc. I haven't noticed anything but wanted to make sure.
    09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
    05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
    87 BMW 325is
    a few bicycles

Are you sure you aren't thinking of something else? The car isn't supposed to be able to start without one. I know mine won't with it unplugged. That is information that the DME needs to know to be able to operate the engine.

Here is a picture:

Comment

I think the OP is talking about the cylinder ID sensor (the "donut" that goes around the #6 plug wire). Bottom line is your car will run a bit richer as the DME will fire all injectors at once versus two banks (1-3-5 and 2-4-6).
      On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. (Edward Mote 1797-1874)

Comment

Originally posted by romeomike View Post
        I think the OP is talking about the cylinder ID sensor (the "donut" that goes around the #6 plug wire). Bottom line is your car will run a bit richer as the DME will fire all injectors at once versus two banks (1-3-5 and 2-4-6).
        ^^ Yup. Is there anyway to retrofit this to my current wires? Is it worth doing?
        09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
        05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
        87 BMW 325is
        a few bicycles

Comment

Originally posted by RobE30 View Post
          ^^ Yup. Is there anyway to retrofit this to my current wires? Is it worth doing?
          My favorite way would be to go to a salvage yard and pull a spark plug harness that has the intact sensor. Your choice just to install the #6 wire or the whole harness. You'll probably get a bit better gas mileage as a result.

I've never tried to slide just the sensor over either spark plug boot so I can't vouch for the feasibility of that approach.
          On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. (Edward Mote 1797-1874)

Comment

Working...
          X