Ticking Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking Noise

Hello, recently i was driving my 87 325i cabrio when i noticed a ticking noise. I have taken the car to a mechanic and when he drove it around, he said its not the valves. He sais its the rod bearings. My question is, can i remove the crossmember and get at the rod bearings without pulling out the engine?

Thanks in advance.

That ticking sound is your motor running fine. When it stops ticking, you have a problem.

Comment

No because what i forgot to mention is that its not ticking the whole time. It gets lounder when you stay around 3000rpm or higher and the engine is not under load. When the car is accelerating it sounds fine. But anyways, can i get in throught the bottom or not?

Comment

the cross member you are talking about holds the engine. so unless you hold the engine from the top of it you cant remove it.
        Track Addict! Going Insane!!!
        http://p-bmw-e30.net
        http://ep82.net

Comment

is is "ticking", or is it a rod "knocking"?
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

sounds like you just need a valve adjustment
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^^^ thats a much easier and cheaper thing to try out too. May as well start with something you could do on your own if you wanted to 'learn while doing'. my $.02
              Greg

Comment

i thought it was the valves as well but the mechanic said it was too loud to be the valves, and it is a rod knocking, but the reason is because of the bearings
                Last edited by v8fc3s; 08-19-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

What kind of cars does this mechanic usuallly work on?
                  '89 325i track sloot
                  '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

valves/rockers can be pretty noisy on an m20 thats out of adjustment

try it first, then see how it sounds
                    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Just do the damn valve adjustment, it'll take you half an hour.

Comment

Working...
                      X