Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revving issue, won't rev past 5100rmp. 325is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revving issue, won't rev past 5100rmp. 325is.

Recently purchased 325is, and discovered that the damn thing won't rev past 5100rpm even though I know it should be higher than that.

I'm new to BMW world so I'm not sure if the engine has some sort of fail safe limp mode, which is likely with German over engineering but unlikely because it's an 87.

My other guesses, is that in the past 22 years somebody threw a wrong ECU in there. 325e? possibly?

Or it actually has the 325e ecu and motor from previous owners.

Any other ideas or places to look?

Runs like a champ, but hits fuel cutoff directly at 5100rpm.

:weak:

You've got an eta motor, or at least an eta ECU (I'm not sure if you can have an "i" engine harness and an "e" ECU, IIRC the "i" ECU has three rows of pins and the "e" has only two, beyond that pin assignments are probably different). What sort of engine speeds are you seeing at 80mph?

Look at the ECU, what's the number on the colored label? I guarantee it's not a 153, 173 or 380, you've probably got an 027 ECU (or probably whatever the super eta ECU is) and the motor to match.

Have you carfaxed it yet? Is it really an is?

Comment

Haven't carfaxed it, but it does the the rear IS spoiler, the sport seats, the front 87IS valance, wheels, LSD and seems like the shorter gearing. I'll check the speed at 80mph today but I want to say it's around 3800RPM

Comment

Pics of the valve cover please. Also on the head, just above the cyl 1 spark plug hole, there should be a 2.5 on it if it is a m20b25.

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
        '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
        '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
        '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
        '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
        '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

Originally posted by slo325i View Post
          Pics of the valve cover please. Also on the head, just above the cyl 1 spark plug hole, there should be a 2.5 on it if it is a m20b25.
          Yep.

For some education, the "e" or "eta" motor was a 2.7 (M20B27) but had much less power due to a bunch of things. The "i" motor is a 2.5 (M20B25) but has more power. Yes it is possible to use the "e" crank and rods with the "i" top end to make a 2.7i stroker and yes plenty of people have done it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            the "i" ECU has three rows of pins and the "e" has only two
            truth.
            Flickr
            Originally posted by Indecline06
            For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

I'm at 3500 at 80mph

Comment

Well, you've got a 3.73 then. But it looks like you've got an eta intake manifold, which points to the entire eta motor.

Sounds like you got jipped.

Comment

That is not the normal configuration of an M20B25 engine. The intake does look like it might be an M20B27 (ETA), which would have a lower rev limit. Or it could be some strange hybrid of M20B25 and M20B27 parts. A big clue would be the part number off of the DME.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Looks like an eta valve cover too...etas came with the BMW logo on the valve cover whereas M20B25s have large "BMW" lettering in the middle.

Comment

Rut roh.

I'll look for the engine code tomm.

Cylinder 1 is closest to the fire wall right?

Bah it will just give me an excuse to get an M50 sooner.
                      By sooner means, after I figure out the misfire on the turbo Miata, finish the Turbo Crx, fix the bike that I crashed last Sunday due to "circumstances" and figure out the clutch issue in the Subaru

I bought it off some 20 year old NJ college girl, I know she didn't mess around with it, but according to her the previous owner was a "Mechanic" who did "stuff".

Let me tell you one thing for starters, the valve cover had more RTV on it than gasket and it was going everywhere. If he was indeed a "mechanic" he sure half asses some stuff.

230K + miles on the body so wouldn't be surprised if it's not OE motor either way.

Comment

its an eta.

intake and valve cover...
                        Flickr
                        Originally posted by Indecline06
                        For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

What is a legit 325I motor supposed to look like?

Google results didn't help me any.

Edit:

?
                          Last edited by Vovchandr; 09-16-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

So next state of business is to check the pin outlet on the ECU and the bottom end engine stamp?

Where is the engine stamp on these things for the block?
                            Ecu is passenger side floorboard like most imports?

Comment

Eta has the coolant resevoir on the passenger side, with a coolant hose going from the resevoir directly to the block, I has the res. on the driver's side and has a hose going to the radiator. I's look different to the somewhat trained eye. I own two i's and one eta, and know for sure beyond reasonable doubt that you have an eta. You posted pics of three i motors in your last post. One major quick reference is to note the more robust looking, and somewhat smoother curve in the i intake manifold.

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
                              sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Working...
                              X