Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do e30s have two fuel pumps? How do they work together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do e30s have two fuel pumps? How do they work together?

I'm trying to diagnose a very tricky problem related to fuel delivery. Can someone explain to me why my car ('89 325i) has two fuel pumps, and anything about how they are used together? Are they both supposed to run all the time? How about at start-up, does only one run? Right now the car won't start and I don't have any power going to the second (axillary) fuel pump when cranking the ignition.

Thanks in advance. I can't seem to find an explanation of this anywhere.

'89 does not, AFAIK.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      '89 does not, AFAIK.
      but the early models with two use 1 pump to pull fuel out of the tank and the other to increase the fuel pressure. My guess is the high pressure pump cannot generate enough NPSH to pull fuel out of the tank on its own. (glad one of my engineering terms has gotten some use)
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

the 2 pump systems are actually better from an overall flow/pressure standpoint. But they're obviously more complicated and more expensive. I suspect BMW went with a single pump later due to cost reasons.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ok, so what is the thing under the access panel under the backseat on the driver's side in my '89 325i? I thought this was the second fuel pump.

Comment

it's a fuel level sensor. there are two, one attached to the pump and one on the drivers side.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well, there is fuel level sensors on both the pump, and the stand alone sensor. One is for level indicator, and one(on the pump) is for "low fuel idiot light". The pump is the one under the passenger side of the seat.

The early system that utilized two pumps really had a better design as the in-tank pump was the low pressure and the inline pump was the high pressure. This was better because the high pressure would experience less contaminant and survive longer.
              Keith

"Die feine Art, schnell zu sein."
              "I don't have a gambling problem, my gambling pays for my e30 addiction."

Comment

Originally posted by Raven Tooth View Post
                I'm trying to diagnose a very tricky problem related to fuel delivery. Can someone explain to me why my car ('89 325i) has two fuel pumps, and anything about how they are used together? Are they both supposed to run all the time? How about at start-up, does only one run? Right now the car won't start and I don't have any power going to the second (axillary) fuel pump when cranking the ignition.

Thanks in advance. I can't seem to find an explanation of this anywhere.
                since you car is an 89, it should only have one fuel pump (under backseat, under access panel).

it is the early cars that have two- one in the same place as yours that just sends the fuel to the high-pressure pump located under the car. these cars will run if the in-tank pump dies because the high-pressure pump can usually do both jobs (though probably not for long).

what makes you say yours has two? and what are you calling the auxiliary pump? sounds like you might have an early car (not 89) with a broken in-tank pump.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Turns out I have a later car with only one pump. What I mistakenly thought was a second pump was just the second fuel level sensor. I appreciate the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                  X