swapped in new engine. fuel issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swapped in new engine. fuel issues?

i bought my e30 for $400 and put a good working engine from my friends parts car in it. as you can imagine for $400 some things were fubared. for instance, the car has 2 fuel filters? one is obviously aftermarket (silver) and its in the fuel return line (iirc.)

it started up fine the first time we turned it on. cranked for a few seconds and roared to life, open headers. :) so we put everything back on and took it out. well i thought the small hose that goes to the coolant reservoir to the top of the radiator was just an overflow hose. heh, i was wrong. the problem is that the coolant reservoir and the radiator are early style (passenger side coolant line to water pump) and the engine is a late style (drivers side coolant line to block.) so i just tossed the coolant reservoir on the drivers side, left the small return line open and drove.....

well it overheated pretty quickly. :o

so i got poured more coolant in and drove it back very slowly. i went to autozone for a radiator hose and coupler and just extended it. when i tried to turn it on the next day it would crank, sounded like it would catch for a few seconds (rumblerumble) but then it would go back to cranking and refuse to turn on. i pulled the plugs, they smelled of fuel, i cranked it. put the plugs back in, cranked it again, no luck. i moved the car backwards 10 feet (off the grass) to redo the ground line from the oil pan to the chassis because it was fubared. well it turned on just fine then.... the only issue was that it idled REALLY high. say 2000rpm. after awhile it went to idling normal and then died. i figured it was the MAF just relearning its maps and turned it back on again. it was fine.

i drove it around for the next few hours and it was fine.

last night it had problems turning on but after 4-5 tries it stayed on and i went on my merry way (to pick up my gf from work) well it was idling really high again. so i turned off the car (while rolling to a red light) and tried to turn it back on again. no luck. luckily i was on a slight incline so my friend came to help me and gave me a push down the hill and i popped the clutch into 2nd while cranking and the car turned on. i raced home, and then left the e30 there.

so im kind of confused.

it will run fine at times, so i dont think the spark plugs are fouled. they looked dirty, but coming from an rx8 i've seen a shit ton worse.

i smelled fuel on the plugs so its definitely getting into the engine, but it sounds like the engine isnt getting any fuel.

thoughts, things to check, and advice are appreciated.
    AWD > RWD

The first actions should be to have a smoke test run on the intake to locate any intake leaks and run through the suite of fuel system tests in the Bentley manual.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

it was the maf.

its bad.

i unplug it and the car starts right up and will drive around normally. as soon as i really get on it (i assume the car goes into open loop) the idle changes to really high and wont come down until the car is turned off. im going to hope thats MAF related as well.

im going to try to find a 027 maf out of a 7 series. thoughts?
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

im going to try to find a 027 maf out of a 7 series. thoughts?
        honestly, just get a stock replacement, and know good used one is OK

and you can get 027 out of any 535i or 735i with Motronic 1.3, if you still want to
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Working...
        X