Spark plug popping out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug popping out

So I was driving my car today outside of philly and all of the sudden I felt something "blow" and the car began to run mega shitty. I pulled off to the side anticipating the worst...thought maybe I had a blown HG. Fortunately it was a loose spark plug wire and to my astonishment a missing spark plug. Luckily I found that the plug had lodged itself in the headers and I was able to screw it back in temporarily and get home.

Now onto to the problem. I'm pretty sure the threaded part where this particular spark plug went is stripped. I've looked into getting the helicoil kit but I need a temporary fix that'll work until I get to that because the car has become my daily. Could I use something like silicon to hold it in place as a temporary fix?

Has anyone experienced this before?

I don't think that silicon would hold it. Lots of auto parts stores sell the helicoil kit, call some and see if they have them.

Comment

Helicoil.

Comment

yeah just have to find the time to do the helicoil thing. couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Comment

Shouldn't take you long. I also suggest you take a Boba straw and duct tape it to the hose end on your vacuum and clean out the cylinder before you install the new plug and start it.

Comment

If the threads are stripped in the head, only a HeliCoil or Timesert is going to work. Run the plug back in and see if it take normal torque.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              If the threads are stripped in the head, only a HeliCoil or Timesert is going to work. Run the plug back in and see if it take normal torque.
              nah it won't. I bought a helicoil from autozone today. I'm gonna just go that route... seems easy enough, though it was a bit on the pricey side

Comment

Originally posted by GOOBER View Post
                nah it won't. I bought a helicoil from autozone today. I'm gonna just go that route... seems easy enough, though it was a bit on the pricey side

still bet its cheaper than a new head and gasket kit......
                I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

well how did that work out?

Comment

Originally posted by shoshottz View Post
                    well how did that work out?

I did the same thing on my M44 E36. Worked out fine, the engine ran for another 100,000 miles after the repair, and never shot another sparkplug out of the head. Inspect your plug wires after doing the repair, mine got damaged when the spark plug tried to take a trip to the moon.

I used a Time-Sert (still have the kit). I put a ton of grease on the drilling and threading bits, which caught 99% of the shavings, then used a shop vac and some hose to vacuum out any that fell into the engine. I also plugged the hole prior to drilling with a lint free cloth.

I really wish manufacturers would use steel inserts for the spark plugs. Aluminum is terrible for threads that are commonly used.
                    Last edited by earthwormjim; 04-10-2018, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                      I really wish manufacturers would use steel inserts for the spark plugs. Aluminum is terrible for threads that are commonly used.
                      I have repaired many of them, it's actually quite common in a commercial shop setting. They almost are always stripped by the owner (or the PO and they purchase the car with damage). Perplexed why people insist on tightening the plugs so much. Not sure why there are two different TQ values for standard and Motorsport as they use the same casings. They are only supposed to be 31Nm and 23Nm respectfully.

I find it best to use time-serts since they have a lip and will seat on the top of the threads. The heli-coil can be threaded too far and the coil will stick into the combustion chamber. The are a pain to get out if it happens too.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

my friend has a helicoil kit , if i buy the timesert insert, would the helicoil tools work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shoshottz View Post
                          my friend has a helicoil kit , if i buy the timesert insert, would the helicoil tools work?

No.

Comment

selling ur kit?

Comment

You can purchase a one time use kit at your local parts store. Usually will have a couple sizes in it.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                              X