2.9lt Stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.9lt Stroker

Ok. So I just saw this thread, I'm gonna put here what I have done.

I'm in the process of building my stroker.

To get to 2.9lt, I have used a M20B20 block, bored out to 86mm,running on stock rods, and a 325iS Evo2 (SA car) crank.

The pistons I used were from another unique to SA car, the Opel Kadette 2.0lt 16v S (or Superboss). it uses 86mm pistons, and on a stock head, and block it leaves the CR, at 9.5:1 , an Alternative piston to use would be the E36 M3 pistons, although it leaves a slightly lower compression (around 9.0:1) and it is 86.3mm, but they work, they were just more expensive, and I preffered the higher CR.

The crank, that I am using is identical to the 528e, except for the fact that it is a forged piece (almost impossible to get hold of).

This makes a nice 2.9lt that doesn't have any issues revving to 7000rpm.

For more info, or anything. Just post here and I will reply

Hey definitely post your progress. Would love to see the turn out!

Comment

Re: 2.9lt Stroker

Originally posted by SA E30
      Ok. So I just saw this thread, I'm gonna put here what I have done.

I'm in the process of building my stroker.

To get to 2.9lt, I have used a M20B20 block, bored out to 86mm,running on stock rods, and a 325iS Evo2 (SA car) crank.

The pistons I used were from another unique to SA car, the Opel Kadette 2.0lt 16v S (or Superboss). it uses 86mm pistons, and on a stock head, and block it leaves the CR, at 9.5:1 , an Alternative piston to use would be the E36 M3 pistons, although it leaves a slightly lower compression (around 9.0:1) and it is 86.3mm, but they work, they were just more expensive, and I preffered the higher CR.

The crank, that I am using is identical to the 528e, except for the fact that it is a forged piece (almost impossible to get hold of).

This makes a nice 2.9lt that doesn't have any issues revving to 7000rpm.

For more info, or anything. Just post here and I will reply

a evo2 what? any specs/pictures of these cars?

Comment

South Africa was blessed with the nicest variety of non-M e30s. HOpefully he can get some pics up as their information and pics are hard to find on the net. A few SA people are around with some serious m20 motors than can put a hurting on some m50 swapped cars :o

Comment

Hard to believe this is the same car. It's my mates one , when he bought it and what it looks like now, he's running on 18's . got similar 2.9lt conversion as mine, just a lot easier, cause he didn't have to hunt down a crank

Also this guy has just done a wild 2.9lt conversion.

Comment

Where did you get the headgasket for that bore? The only ones I know of will stick into the cyl. I thought we had to go copper to get that large of a bore size.

Comment

are you referring to mtechII's as Evo2's?

Comment

I'm at a loss with this Evo2 crank thing. What are the specs? Is it cast or forged? Maybe a rebadged 524TD crank? I'm just guessing here.

Jon
                Rides...
                1991 325i - sold :(
                2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Ian, it's a special sport model of the 325i. It's not the same as a 325i Sport with the Mtech package, though it has the bodywork. As far as I know, it uses an 'i' M20 with the turbo-diesel 81mm stroke crank. Basicly a hot 'mild' factory stroker, high compression too I believe.

If that's wrong, someone correct me.

SA E30, are the rods 135mm 'i' spec?

Comment

Yes, they are, the rods are exactly the same as the 325i rods. Yes, u do have use a custom gasket (actually lemme get back to u on that, I used a custom one) The pistons that came in the iS Evo, are exactly the same as the ones in the 325i, just the Gudeon Pin, is located in a differnt position, so that there is no decking out on the head, and for a high CR

The BMW South Africa 325iS Evo1/2 were special homoligation models, so that they could be raced in our Touring Car championship over here. Had M20B27, with alpina designed cam, Aplina AFM (looks like an M30 AFM, but desinged for the M20 airbox) M3 suspension components. These cars all came from the factory with M-Tech2 kits. 15" Basketweaves.

I'm not 100% of the stroke (I'll get back to u tomorrow on that). The stock CR, of the iS Evo is 10.5:1

I'm not sure if it's the same as the 324td cause we never got them here, I do know it is the same spec as the 528e (or 325e as I dunderstand it's the same motor) This crank is just a forged one. Only BMW SA can order it, and if u do need one they make one up for u over in Germany, and send it here. Cause they don't keep stock of the due to the limited no.'s that the car was built in.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion ?

BTW if anyone wants more pictures of these cars, drop me a mail at stevin@global.co.za , and I will forward all of the pics that I have of South African E30's most of the pics will be of my mates cars. I just don't have the time to upload them all

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30
                      Yes, they are, the rods are exactly the same as the 325i rods. Yes, u do have use a custom gasket (actually lemme get back to u on that, I used a custom one) The pistons that came in the iS Evo, are exactly the same as the ones in the 325i, just the Gudeon Pin, is located in a differnt position, so that there is no decking out on the head, and for a high CR

The BMW South Africa 325iS Evo1/2 were special homoligation models, so that they could be raced in our Touring Car championship over here. Had M20B27, with alpina designed cam, Aplina AFM (looks like an M30 AFM, but desinged for the M20 airbox) M3 suspension components. These cars all came from the factory with M-Tech2 kits. 15" Basketweaves.

I'm not 100% of the stroke (I'll get back to u tomorrow on that). The stock CR, of the iS Evo is 10.5:1

I'm not sure if it's the same as the 324td cause we never got them here, I do know it is the same spec as the 528e (or 325e as I dunderstand it's the same motor) This crank is just a forged one. Only BMW SA can order it, and if u do need one they make one up for u over in Germany, and send it here. Cause they don't keep stock of the due to the limited no.'s that the car was built in.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion ?

BTW if anyone wants more pictures of these cars, drop me a mail at stevin@global.co.za , and I will forward all of the pics that I have of South African E30's most of the pics will be of my mates cars. I just don't have the time to upload them all
                      Sounds like a great car, Stevin. 10.5:1, that's really high for a factory motor! That's more than some U.S. guys can run with custom pistons, because they can't get high enough octane fuel!
                      Any idea what a stock one puts down on a dynomometer/rolling road?
                      Thanks for the info.

Comment

Well, factory figures the Evo 1 made 144kw otf, and the Evo2 made 155kw otf.

The Evo 1 had Aluminium body panels, all of them except for the roof, but it was done away with for the Evo2 cause it had already been Homoligated.

I was looking my one friend who has an Evo1, with a Motorsport Chip (was the racing chip they used when racing the car) and a Motorsport modified AFM (the Evo1 still used the small M20 AFM), he made 132kw otw.

The my other mate, who I posted up with the red 325iS Evo2 with the 18" wheels made 155kw otw. So it's not bad at all. He's still running a stock head at the moment. I'm dying to see how my other mate also red 325iS with 2.9lt goes, he's done the whole setup. Spiral polished head, Big Valves. 300 degree cam (not sure what lift) 11:1 CR, MAF. He's doing throttles at the end of the month. I would love to see what power it's gonna make, I'm even going to try and record it.

Comment

Some updated pics!!!!

Im running 2.7L in my cabby with 288 cam, chipped, flowed head, branches and freeflow!!!! Also with the added benifit of a LSD!!!

This is Riaans BMW...2.9L!!! A fucken beast of note!

Comment

sweet ride fella .. for us metric challenged, 155 kw otf? what kinda power does that translate to?
                            --Hayden--
                            '87 325 coupe- Trak Rat
                            '93 318is- 4cyl's of fury
                            '92 Integra GS-R--yeah, its fast..
                            www.G2IC.com

Comment

155kw = 208HP

Comment

Working...
                              X