budget M20 build. Need your input.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

budget M20 build. Need your input.

Hey everyone. Ok, After thinking long and hard at all possible motor swap I decided to hold off for now and just put a few $ into the M20.

Right now its 100% stock. 180K. Feels nice and strong.

Right not I have a Fully worked PnP head (no cam)

This is a Toy. I do drive a LOT on the street so I want it streetable but willing to deal with alittle "roughness" for performance. I will be tracking/ auto Xing the car.

I have 2 K after the head. So, after a lightend up flywheel/clutch I figure Im down to 1500.

Need cam choice, chip, Ebay headers, intake, ported intake manny. etc. I know its a tight budget. I can drop a few things/ gain a few.. etc.

Your opinion plz!

with such a tight budget I would check with brody, I think you may pick up most power with a WAR and a proper tune. Some of the other items could actually loose you power with out a proper tune. Another great thing with the WAR is it works with what ever future mods you do as you can tune it yourself.
    Brian Jacobs

Comment

thro som tarbs on dat bish

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks Brian,

"Liv2race," we have our W.A.R. Chip, which is an end user adjustable performance chip as mentioned. Also, if you switch up your engine in the future you can use the WAR Chip to tune that as well, you just have to load the appropriate software.

We just came out with our new M20 ProStreet Induction Kit (PSIK) which features an entire 3.0" intake tract with true cold air induction and built in MAF conversion. There is a thread here if you haven't already seen it. It will give you some of the most bang for your buck.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
          thro som tarbs on dat bish
          +1 on teh turbz

Comment

2k is about 5-6 DE weekend entry fees.

Just sayin'
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              2k is about 5-6 DE weekend entry fees.

Just sayin'
              That is so dumb. No bewst, no bitchez.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by briansjacobs View Post
                with such a tight budget I would check with brody, I think you may pick up most power with a WAR and a proper tune. Some of the other items could actually loose you power with out a proper tune. Another great thing with the WAR is it works with what ever future mods you do as you can tune it yourself.
                +1 on that!

Best thing i did to the car besides stencil "danny=God" on the hood of my car...
                https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by liv2race View Post
                  Hey everyone. Ok, After thinking long and hard at all possible motor swap I decided to hold off for now and just put a few $ into the M20.

Right now its 100% stock. 180K. Feels nice and strong.

Right not I have a Fully worked PnP head (no cam)

This is a Toy. I do drive a LOT on the street so I want it streetable but willing to deal with alittle "roughness" for performance. I will be tracking/ auto Xing the car.

I have 2 K after the head. So, after a lightend up flywheel/clutch I figure Im down to 1500.

Need cam choice, chip, Ebay headers, intake, ported intake manny. etc. I know its a tight budget. I can drop a few things/ gain a few.. etc.

Your opinion plz!
                  depending on your budget - do a mild cam, like a 272, or a 284/272 (no regrinds damnit!), fresh rockers if you don't have them already. Ebay headers will work for your purpose, beware they might not be the best but if you only have a small budget they might be better than manifolds. build a single 2.5" exhaust, don't skimp on quanity and quality of mufflers, consider a high flow metal core cat. And perhaps something like the miller WAR chip + MAF is right up your alley.

Leave the bottom end stock, just refresh it with new rings, seals, bearings, etc. Opening up the bottom end is where things get spendy, you can make some pretty nice differences with the head (cam + headwork), exhaust and tuning.

a $1500 budget turbo is probably going to suck and be quite unreliable.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    a $1500 budget turbo is probably going to suck and be quite unreliable.
                    unless you know what you are doing

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

sure, but if he knew he'd already be building it instead of asking for permission. :p
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wanna stay away from turbo. I had a very nicly built STi. Maxed out the stock turbo to get as alittle lag as possible and it was still WAY to laggy for me on the auto X. I got a bad taste in my mouth from turbo. I want NA!

Comment

bewst=bewbs

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
                          X