Already been asked, already been answered, need more detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already been asked, already been answered, need more detail

K. I know it's a dumb swap but i'm on a budget (not to mention i'm already emotionally attached to this shell) M42 to M20. I wanna do it (turbo down the road, which is part of the reason i want to do this, because i can do it in steps spend some now, spend some later) . I know i should just save for an m50/s50, but the m42 and the g240 are shitting out on me. Obviously, m20, g260, wiring harness, ecu, accessories. But what about drive shaft? brake booster? pedal box? i need to know everything that i'm going to need to swap. thanks so much for your time guys and sorry about the repetitive question.

You will need the driveshaft from an M20B25 powered car, but you can retain the brake booster and MC currently on the car.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

so if i get motor with accesories all the way back to driveshaft i should be good? no new radiator and fans. hell, would i just be better off buying a cheap beat 325i or am i pretty much good motor (accesories, ecu, harness) trans and driveshaft?

Comment

you need an m20 radiator. the hose locations are completely different. go with an aftermarket fan unless you really care that much about A/C... but even then. You also might want a different final drive(differential). What diff is in the car currently?

EDIT: the perfect scenario would be to find a rear-ended 325, but good luck.

Originally posted by Ryan...
        It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

you can use an M42 radiator with an M20, people do it all the time.

dunno how long the small case diff will last but if you're on a budget you might want to give it a go, just start looking for a medium case ASAP..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            you can use an M42 radiator with an M20, people do it all the time.

dunno how long the small case diff will last but if you're on a budget you might want to give it a go, just start looking for a medium case ASAP..
            Small case should be ok assuming he doesn't drive like he stole it, correct?

Comment

yeah, but how likely is that?
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah, i drive it like an ass. it's a budget autox build, just to get me some seat time. thanks for the help guys, let me know if you hear anything about someone trying to get rid of m20 that'd be awesome. an yes it is a small 4.10 open diff but i'm fully planning on finding an m20 lsd so i don't end up stranded.

Comment

Working...
                X