No announcement yet.

Who is running a potent N/A set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will leave this here and debunk all the myths about not being able to make power out of an NA M20-

Rob's Improved Production 2.8L M20 first startup, a few quick revs, then a dyno pull

M52 2.8 crank and rods, custom JE pistons, extensively modified head, triple webers, custom camshaft grind etc...
    12.921 @ 106.48mph - N/A E36 3.0L daily driver

Comment

:bow::bow::bow:

Wat....... did you do there?
      sigpic
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
      1989 325is Raged on then sold.
      1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
      1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
      1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by morerevsm3 View Post
        I will leave this here and debunk all the myths about not being able to make power out of an NA M20-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAHlvU6VSy0

M52 2.8 crank and rods, custom JE pistons, extensively modified head, triple webers, custom camshaft grind etc...

Comment

Rob's Improved Production 2.8L M20 first startup, a few quick revs, then a dyno pull

More plz
          -Alex

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAHlvU6VSy0

Meh, I don't believe eveything i see on youtube. 350 whp is absurd. There are some phony corrections in there somewhere.
            --Will

Comment

My first engine build was a stroker M20 back in 1998 and we used a forged TD crank, custom Wiseco 9.5:1 CR pistons, 'i' rods. Head was the Schrick dual-pattern cam, +1mm valves with some mild porting. Custom chip. It's been a long time but I think output was around 180 at the wheels.

Engine ran great with a 4.10 gear and total cost wasn't extreme. The money is in the head and the piston set.

I'd be curious to hear more about people running 86mm and 89.6mm stroked engines.
              Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
              Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
              wamchenry@gmail.com
              insta: @simple_machines

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                More plz
                x2

Frankly I could care less about actual numbers here (while the proof might not be definitive, the naysayers have no proof either [since they aren't personally involved]), its pretty impressive regardless. I'd like to know what the car is built for? What compression ratio? What cam? What DCOE's?
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
                  Meh, I don't believe eveything i see on youtube. 350 whp is absurd. There are some phony corrections in there somewhere.
                  car is a circuit racing car, 14.5:1 compression, E85 fuel, carbs are modified 45DCOEs, cam is custom, 275* duration @1mm, .550" lift at the valve, it is not a streetable engine, you can't give full throttle below 5000rpm, or it spits back through the carbs, but once you hit 5000, all hell breaks loose...
                  it is a dyno dynamics dyno in shoot-6 mode, you can't alter anything at all, so can't be fudged except by heating intake temp sensor, here is a screen shot to prove that temp wasn't fudged either-

and a few other pics, there is a week of full time head gurus work in the head alone...

Comment

Haha, sorry mate. At least you gave us a good response :up:

I am a little surprised at the AMC head, though. Guess they're decent castings afterall.
                    --Will

Comment

Carbs? They spent all that money and then went with carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                        Carbs? They spent all that money and then went with carbs?
                        would have added at least 5k to the cost to go injection, and for no more peak power, would only improve it under 5000rpm, being a race car, it shouldn't be below that anyway

Comment

I don't understand why so many people think carburetors cannot perform.

Fuel economy sucks, but they can make some damn power. BTW, that engine sounds incredible.
                          No E30 Club
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

would have added at least 5k to the cost to go injection, and for no more peak power, would only improve it under 5000rpm, being a race car, it shouldn't be below that anyway
                            What are you guys r3ving this too? 8k?

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

hit dyno maximum speed of 200kph at 8k, power was still climbing slightly, but almost peaked anyway, it has no ecu, so no rev limiter, on track it will see 8.5k in 1st and 2nd gear, 8k in 3rd, 4th and probably won't find a straight long enough to peak in 5th

Comment

hit dyno maximum speed of 200kph at 8k, power was still climbing slightly, but almost peaked anyway, it has no ecu, so no rev limiter, on track it will see 8.5k in 1st and 2nd gear, 8k in 3rd, 4th and probably won't find a straight long enough to peak in 5th
                                Awesome little setup, would love to see some footage of it racing. If you care to share, what bearings do you guys use to withstand the motor's increased stroke and RPM's. Very impressive!

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Working...
                                X