What is this noise? Videos attached

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this noise? Videos attached

I have never been able to hold a camera super still...

The white smoke you see is not from a blown headgasket. My DME reset and I have m50 injectors, so it was running rich because it forgot the settings. Additionally it was about 34 degrees outside.

My engine is ...

I drove it sort of hard, I would bump shift it every other day, but I believe it is just that it has had a hard life and the gas in the oil didn't help

I have listened to all 12 valves, they all sound about the same and the chh chh chh chh noise can not be heard through the screwdriver

Buying a stroker to drop in anyways, so just curious what is wrong with mine! lol

That sounds bad, but not the same as a broken rocker.

Still, something sounds very very loose or maybe broken.

Valves been adjusted recently?

Care to pull the valve cover and check it out???

d.hitchcock
    STX e30
    No. 10/110 STX: 1989 325i
    DD: 1991 318is slicktop

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

Comment

Just adjusted all the valves a few days ago while it was amking this noise. I adjusted them a little tight, and they are quieter now for sure

All rockers looked good, no cracks at all.

Comment

I would do a compression test, IDK if you care enough to do so.

Then I would check at the fasteners holding the vibration dampener, cam sprocket. I would also look for something in the vicinity of the timing belt thats getting in the way. Also, check the timing reference marks.

Comment

Ill do a compression test. But it is coming out anyways, maybe I can fix it off car, but who knows

Comment

The knocking could be from a bad thrust bearing. Can you isolate where the chi chi chi is coming from? Front/rear/??

Comment

Working...
            X