Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12v Timing Chain: If you had the Option would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12v Timing Chain: If you had the Option would you?

Yes: in a heatbeat (if so how much is to much $$$)

No: keep it stock, keep it real (why?)

or :wgaf: it will never happen asshole.....

Just askin cause I would really like one.....ugh
    Yes: in a heatbeat
    39.47%
    No: keep it stock, keep it real
    31.58%
    Go Fuck youself...
    28.95%
    https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

How about an aftermarket indestructible timing belt instead? Seems more plausible and cost effecient.

Comment

Timing belts are very easy and reliable if maintained. Zero reason to have a chain on an M20

Comment

^+1

I would imagine that belt driven engines are smoother running.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
          Timing belts are very easy and reliable if maintained. Zero reason to have a chain on an M20
          Aren't you basically saying that they don't give you any trouble as long as you replace them every two years?
          The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
          Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
          2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            Aren't you basically saying that they don't give you any trouble as long as you replace them every two years?
            YES!

People think the T-belts are like a time bomb. They aren't, except for those who neglect them.

Comment

But that doesn't make sense to me. Of course it won't break if you replace it. I at least think that the OP doesn't wanna keep replacing his TB, so put a chain on that'll never break.
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

^Think of the implications. A timing chain conversion would require some kind of fabricated Cam sprocket and Crank pulley, if not, a whole new crankshaft. PLus you will have to figure out some kind of a chain guide setup as opposed to a tensioner roller.

Another thing, timing chains DO BREAK under certain circumstances. You never really are safe. Also, timing belts give you a chance to inspect things around your engine while its being changed such as the waterpump, acc. belts, and checking for loose fasteners. You would never think to have a look at the cooling system if you had a timing chain without compelling reasons.

Timing belts are just so much more straightforward to me. I guess I could see that peoples busy schedules may interfere with how they maintain their cars/change their T-belts. Only then one might consider having a chained engine, but other than that the belts aren't bad.

Has anyone documented a successful timing chain conversion for the M20? not 24v...

Comment

:d

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                  PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

fuck you stupid autocorrecting forum

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                    PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

This question always comes up. My defense against it-- timing belt kit costs what, $150 with a water pump, tops? Belt withtensioner is only $50 or so. Well look at what timing chain guides and tensioners cost. The 24v tensioner costs more than the belt/tensioner kit and the do wear out. If neglected, the chain slaps around and destroys the guide rails prematurely. Even if you do keep a solid tensioner in there, the guides will wear out between 150k and 200k. Sure, I've seen plenty of 24v engines north of that with original parts-- doesn't mean they aren't worn though. At that point it's the same time bomb as an old timing belt, however collectively all of the timing belt services you saved yourself from doing will still be less labor than replacing the guides, chain, sprockets and so on-- not to mention all of those t-belt kits would cost a fraction of the chain components. Some may argue that they'll never put that many miles on their car, but that's not my point.

Anyway, I don't care how an engine is set up at the end of the day. I've loved my t-belt cars. My E36 M has over 200k on the original components-- except it's had 2 tensioners. It could grenade, but I'm ready for that. There's my input, take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

belts are better

Comment

chains put more metal flakes in the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by e46s54dr View Post
                            How about an aftermarket indestructible timing belt instead? Seems more plausible and cost effecient.

they make carbon fiber belts for motorcycles. Gates and continental make them too. should be lifetime. Could also be designed to be changed much easier.

but absolutely the belt is a million times better design, its just that then made it of rubber.

the belt was a big advance in vehicle reliability, but they did it backhanded by making it out of crap.

manufacturing uses permanent belts.

However, people who cant do it themselves prefer a chain. theyd prefer the whole thing die so it became chains again.

Honda was one of the last big companys to stick with belts. still belt driven into the early 00s. Other then that most cars are chains again nowadays.

Comment

I only would trust a timing chain on an old pushrod v8.
                              I've seen motors come to my work with snapped timing chains and it ain't pretty. The problem lies in removing a timing case cover. On some cars it's a head fuck to remove and people would rather not bother and ignore the fact that timing chain is a part of the motor that also needs servicing.
                              Changing a timing belt however is a lot less work and will cost a lot less in labour. We all drive interference motors, there is a reason why we have special intervals for a timing belt changees and for the guys out there who believe a car needs only needs fuel, water and oil to survive should go buy something else like a Toyota Corolla because they don't deserve to drive a car like the BMW e30.

Comment

Working...
                              X