Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bullet Ride's 2.8L Stroker Project (Updated: Dyno Plot pg. 6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did your parents do (or not do) to make you such a badass? I've got three kids that I want to become doers.

Beautiful build. I'm doing the m50b28 crank and e rods right now on my spare motor.
    Really inspiring...
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
      What did your parents do (or not do) to make you such a badass? I've got three kids that I want to become doers.

Beautiful build. I'm doing the m50b28 crank and e rods right now on my spare motor.
      Really inspiring...
      haha, well my old man is a definitely a handy man. I remember hanging out in the garage with him when I was young handing him tools while he worked on the family car. That definitely played a part. Also, me and my two brothers were always interested in tinkering with mechanical things when we were kids, whether it be our bikes, or taking apart our toys (and never quite getting them back together properly lol). Suffice it to say, we all ended up going to university for mechanical engineering

Comment

Then my kids are on their way...
        Again, great write-up.
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

all the pictures dont show up on my mac anymore.. :( now its just a bunch of photo bucket bandwidth crap.. ive been following this thread for a while now too..
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, my 10gb bandwidth limit got maxed in two short weeks.... too many people are looking at my build threads lol.

I need to start hosting my pictures somewhere that has more bandwidth.

In the meantime, you can just right click on the picture and select open image in new tab if you want to see it. Bandwidth is unlimited if viewing the pictures directly on the photobucket website.
            Last edited by Bullet Ride; 07-29-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

What compression ratio would your engine have with that setup?

Comment

Originally posted by darvo View Post
                What compression ratio would your engine have with that setup?
                It hasn't been verified but I calculated it to be somewhere between 9.7:1 and 9.8:1

Comment

Hey, had a question regarding the way you machined the crank. Do you think you could have gotten away with taking material off the piston skirts in order for the crank to fit or do you think machining the counterweights was your best option?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cgk_iii View Post
                    Hey, had a question regarding the way you machined the crank. Do you think you could have gotten away with taking material off the piston skirts in order for the crank to fit or do you think machining the counterweights was your best option?
                    Apparently it's been done that way before. I think part of it depends on which crank you have because there are a couple different 2.8L cranks. The best way to find out is to put a rod and piston on to the crank and take some measurements.

Comment

in this pic it is shown with a 135mm rod so a 130mm rod would mean the crank counterweight would foul the piston boss as well as the skirt. machining the boss away is not recommended. note that not all counterweights are the same radius either so some may sneak in others not.

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        in this pic it is shown with a 135mm rod so a 130mm rod would mean the crank counterweight would foul the piston boss as well as the skirt. machining the boss away is not recommended. note that not all counterweights are the same radius either so some may sneak in others not.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...4&postcount=46
                        wow... that looks ghetto as f**k! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet Ride View Post
                          wow... that looks ghetto as f**k! lol
                          yep, had heaps of spare scuffed pistons and it was the easiest way to check clearance with a much much bigger crank;)
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Hey sweet build and that sound is great. Im building an engine kinda similar to this and have a couple questions if you don't mind. What injectors are you running? And when you built the exhaust did you use a flew pipe or just headers to mid and the rest?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...4&postcount=46
                              Wow ok, that makes things a lot more clear. What is the recommended process then? Every machine shop I've talked to about taking material off the counter weights, look at me like I'm speaking a different language. I have access to a lathe, but I think the crank is a bit too long to fit. We have a big lathe at school but my "high performance" teacher thinks machining the crank is not the right way as well. Really don't want to spend $600-$1000 on custom pistons if I don't need to.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cgk_iii View Post
                                Wow ok, that makes things a lot more clear. What is the recommended process then? Every machine shop I've talked to about taking material off the counter weights, look at me like I'm speaking a different language. I have access to a lathe, but I think the crank is a bit too long to fit. We have a big lathe at school but my "high performance" teacher thinks machining the crank is not the right way as well. Really don't want to spend $600-$1000 on custom pistons if I don't need to.
                                basically you need to find one that can machine it, and get everything balanced again. machining the crank isn't the right way but it is probably going to be your most economical way

Comment

Working...
                                X