Another 2.7 no start-e-o thread. UPDATED! 4/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drumad View Post
    Probably a horrible idea, but when I was first trouble shooting I mounted my starter loosely and it was able to turn my motor over as the pinion was able to find it's way on to the fw. Definitely indicated that the alignment was no bueno.
    I was gonna put it on the lift, drop the FW cover, and peer up into there with a light and see if it was engaging.

Problem is I wanna put the exhaust on my e28!!!
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

NVM, we put that spacer do dad thingy in there.

WTF is up with this shizzzzz!?

Comment

So if it engages and spins what kind of noise does it make? any contact noises?

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwman92 View Post
          So if it engages and spins what kind of noise does it make? any contact noises?
          None. You hear it kick out, and spin. I disconnected the upper wire to keep it from spinning and it definitely kicks out. Used a screw driver to my ear to listen/feel it.

Comment

So, to end this thread out....

There was no problem. We had the spark plugs out and the starter was just turning the engine like nothing special. We didn't look to see if the front of the crank was turning. Then Sam put the car in gear and hit the starter. The car moved.

FUCK.

We didn't bolt the flywheel to the engine.

NOPE!

The mother fucking crank has been turning the whole time.

...now we're chasing a no fuel problem. Power all the way to the FP relay....but no power at the pump (tested the wires, no power).

Comment

aaaaaahahahahahahahahhahahahhahah

ok that is all
              2008 335i - n54b30
              1991 318i - m52b28
              1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Originally posted by drumad View Post
                aaaaaahahahahahahahahhahahahhahah

ok that is all
                -__________________________-

I kept telling Sam it'd be some stupid thing....and it was. FML.

Comment

UPDATE 4/25

So, now we've got no fuel.

Testing as per Bentley: The main relay is good. FP relay, we're getting voltage to it, but it's not clicking. Swap the relay, still no clicky. Jumped the relay (Pin 30 to 87), and tested for voltage at the FP.....nothingggggfuckkkk.

So, riddle me this....I had to repair the harness where the fuel injector harness connects. Someone had made a mess of splicing wires when the plastic connector had seized inside itself. I harvested a new connector and wires from another 1989 325is. Spliced the wires nice and neatly, one at a time so as to not get them mixed up.

COULD THIS HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE PRESENT SITUATION?
                  Looking at the diagrams, I come to the conclusion that no, this will not effect the FP from operating.

So, we're not getting voltage from pin 87 to the fuel pump itself. I've got voltage at pin 30 and 86.

Also, I have not verified we have spark. Shoulda done that last night but got caught up with putting a slave cylinder in Inufaye's bronzit turd.

Last edited by slammin.e28; 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

OK! guess its my turn to update. So its no spark no fuel.

We did jumper the fuel pump but it was a big jump. from pin 30 all the way to the fuse box. Somewhere between pin 87 and C101 something goes wrong. The good news is the fuel pump does work.

There is no voltage to the ignition coil. Used 2 different ignition switches. There was voltage at the switch and the connector but it didn't make it to the coil. Just to test the coil we jumped it directly to the battery and bam the main relay clicked and the ICV started buzzing with the ignition off.

I suspect there is a relay at work that I don't know much about. The OBC relay?

Grounding out the jumped ignition coil would spark so the coil is good. but when cranking the car it wouldn't. That might be because I had a e28 DME in the car at that time. I did swap in the original one but don't remember which one was in when we were cranking the jumped coil.

So is my wiring harness shorted all to hell or could this be the OBC relay?

I found this post: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...54&postcount=5
                    I plan to go through this step by step tomorrow hope it sheds some light on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner Sam23 View Post
                      Grounding out the jumped ignition coil would spark so the coil is good. but when cranking the car it wouldn't. That might be because I had a e28 DME in the car at that time. I did swap in the original one but don't remember which one was in when we were cranking the jumped coil.
                      That was an e34 DME. 179.

Anywho:

There are shorts. I get 12v at the ignition switch, large green wire. 12v at the connection of the ignition switch to the harness. 12v on the harness side of the connection....but no voltage at the mother fucking coil. I get a measurement of roughly 700 ohms between the ignition switch connector and the ignition coil, so it's connected, but there is no voltage AT the coil. Zero. Zilch.

Buttt...ty.yy.y.y.t.t.t.....looking at the diagrams, I did have the OBC relay box unplugged. FUCK.

ANYWHOOOOOYOUHOOOO>>>>

Fuel pump wiring has a short between the FP relay pin 87 and the C101 pin 13. Just gotta track that bullshit down and make reparations as needed.

Have a great Friday erryone!

Comment

Went home for lunch. Connected OBC relay BOX

This turd, not a relay.

(Pic stolen from Google images)

....and BAM! voltage at the coil.

Originally posted by Stoner Sam23 View Post
                        I found this post: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...54&postcount=5
                        I plan to go through this step by step tomorrow hope it sheds some light on the situation.
                        No need sir, no need.

I think we'll start this bitch tonight.

Comment

BOOM BABY. She runs.

....fuckers. ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X