Starter Grinding Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Grinding Noise

So I am about to get my motor started and running, however when rotating the engine by hand (or cranking it) there is a terrible metal on metal grinding sound.

I have the flywheel and torque converter, etc. on the correct way

When rotating the engine by hand without the starter there are no noises.

The automatic transmission currently has no fluid (I am filling it up tomorrow with a fresh filter kit)

When bench testing the starter it operates perfectly fine

Any ideas??? I am stumped and need my car

Is it a high screech time grinding sound, If so I have that too but only lasts a few moments. Im thinking its my alternator belt not fully tight. My PS belt was doing the same until I tightened it.
    SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
    IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
    BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

No it is metal on metal, coming from that area

I know it is from the starter because when I rotate the engine by hand with the starter off then it shuts up

Comment

Okay then, I am of no use to you LOL, my knowledge is only limited by my experience. Good luck ;)
        SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
        IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
        BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

I guess I solved my own problem. I must have put the flywheel back on in the wrong order.. because it is grinding on the starter beforre the starter even kicks out

Can anybody tell me the correct order for the auto flywheel?

spacer flywheel torque converter plate or?

Comment

I forget the order of that stuff, but before I did my 5 speed swap my starter also made loud grinding noises on occasion when starting. it is the the teeth on the starters cog grinding on the cogs of the flywheel. I cannot remember why it was doing it, but that is whats doing it for sure.
            I no longer have this issue with my 5 speed though

Comment

Well I might drop the transmission today, but I am fairly sure I have the order correct is

spacer
              flywheel
              flex plate

Not an m20 but same thing almost... it is impossible to put the flywheel before the spacer and thus closer to the engine. So I must have done it right, ugh.

Ill double check today.

Will this noise go away? I guessed maybe that the flywheel teeth are bone dry and thats why it grinds.. no lube

Comment

Are you using the correct starter?

Comment

Yes. Im positive of that. I also have the thin stamped metal plate installed as well

Comment

im pretty sure you dont lube the teeth, as they are exposed. and no, the noise wont just go away on its own. it will get worse until it works no more.
                    I think its the position of the starter itself that causes this.
                    on mine when i removed it the flywheels teeth had been chewed up on parts of it, so its not good to leave it.

Comment

Yeah lubing the teeth wont help much, but that was just an idea

Could I be missed anything?? Maybe not torqueing it down tight enough? I have had this starter, and the other, on and off about 5 times in the past 2 days. I can do it now in about 10 minutes :)

I have the flywheel order correct, and I also have the stamped steel plate between the block and the tranny, so I believe I have everything I need

Comment

Any ideas at all??

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                          ...Any ideas??? I am stumped and need my car
                          oh the irony of that statement

(sorry)
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I believe I am missing the wave washers... might be the cause of the problem.

I am going to Lowes tomorrow to get some thick washers and see what that does

Comment

This noise

Comment

Working...
                              X