Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B27 Turbo Inquiry *Nooooob

Hey guys what's up.
    Before I start I'd like to say yes I did some research and I did search on here but couldn't really find much lol.

So I'm looking into turbo-ing and M20 out of an E28 eta, the motor has been rebuilt and has 10 miles on it.

I know it's not too expensive and that 2.7 stock internals can apparently hold around 350 wheel. I have not the slightest clue as where to start with this whole turbo thing lol....like I said noob here, have had a few bmw's but nothing quick or anything turbo haha.

I know there are kits out there, any preferred over others?

And also I would love to hear from people who have pieced together kits (more of what I'm aiming at).

Hopefully after all said and done the motor going into this car, it's my bagged(purists def won't like lol) E28 '84 528e.
    I hate you E30spdfrk

I would start by making it a stroker and then turbo, e30tech has some good threads about all that
    sigpic
    BIMMER für IMMER

Comment

That's a beautiful car!

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by 89 e30 View Post
        I would start by making it a stroker and then turbo, e30tech has some good threads about all that
        I'd love too but I'm broke and in college, so cliche I know haha

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
        That's a beautiful car!
        Thank you!
        I hate you E30spdfrk

Comment

Originally posted by So Lowww View Post
          I'd love too but I'm broke and in college, so cliche I know haha

Thank you!
          If you can't afford to buy a b25 top end and wiring harness, how are you going to afford a turbo with all the associated parts and then a way to tune it?

Not hatin, but if you have a junkyard near you, you can do the stroker for about $350...

john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            If you can't afford to buy a b25 top end and wiring harness, how are you going to afford a turbo with all the associated parts and then a way to tune it?

Not hatin, but if you have a junkyard near you, you can do the stroker for about $350...

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=179031
            Oh wow I was looking into something else when I saw stroker, I saw kits and stuff for 1500$ that's why I said screw it.

Didn't know it could be done for this cheap! Thanks, will def look into it.

Btw this whole thread is so I can learn this stuff haha so sorry if I sound like an idiot.

And just incase anyone missed it I already have a 2.7L eta not 2.5 from an E30
            I hate you E30spdfrk

Comment

Right, that's how my e30 started, as an eta. Doing the top end and Motronic 1.3 swap gained 40whp ;)
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Stroker is just the term e30 nerds call it. In reality, it's taking a 2.7 e engine and replacing the shitty single valve spring head with the dual valve spring and better flowing I head off a 2.5, essentially making a 2.7 i engine. You need to swap the electrical system to motronics 1.3 as well, or else you'll still be limited to 4500rpm with the e ecu.

Feel free to text any quick questions my way Khalil, I used to like M20s and I still remember a bit lol.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

not to hijack the thread but i thought when you convert the e head to an i that you had to replace the pistons because they hit the head with the i head on. i dont know if the 2.7 from the e28 is different from an e30 2.7.
                  i think i read it on strictly eta

i been thinking of the doing the head swap but i went against it because of the pistons.
                  guess my 86 eta will always be an eta.

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                    not to hijack the thread but i thought when you convert the e head to an i that you had to replace the pistons because they hit the head with the i head on. i dont know if the 2.7 from the e28 is different from an e30 2.7.
                    i think i read it on strictly eta

i been thinking of the doing the head swap but i went against it because of the pistons.
                    guess my 86 eta will always be an eta.
                    no, you are wrong. The I head is bolt on to the bottom eta end. People swap in late model short skirt piston heads to increase compression. That is where the issues come and usually requires decking of the block.

Also e28 (b27) is the same as e30 (b27)
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Working...
                    X