Stuck on a timing belt replacement - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck on a timing belt replacement - need help

My camshaft sprocket does not have the notch in order to align it with the TDC mark on the head.
    I'm stuck since i also took out the crankshaft pulley and the lower timing belt cover so i cannot locate the TDC.
    Should i just reinstalled everything and then try to find the TDC for the crankshaft and camshaft.
    I also forgot to mention that i have not taken the sparkplugs out; therefore cannot turn the camshaft sprocket or crankshaft
    Here it is the camshaft sprocket and camshaft area.
    Attached Files

Clean all that junk off and there should be an arrow

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      Clean all that junk off and there should be an arrow
      On the camshaft or the crankshaft?

Comment

camshaft sprocket

Comment

It's on the cam gear. There is either an arrow on the inner section of the gear or a line below one of the teeth that will line up with the line on the head. If you have a bentley manual it has pictures of each, there is a PDF of the manual in the DIY section i believe.
          84' 325i -> PRO3 #304
          Powered by Manntechnik
          Work in Progress Build Thread

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCMSF2wQLE

Comment

I have never see a cam gear like yours and therefore have no experience finding TDC for it, however for the crankshaft you can see a small line on the section where the vibration dampener bolts to(on the last photo you attached) which when lined up with the small notch(can be seen in the 3rd picture you attached) means that the crankshaft is at TDC.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by KEVORM View Post
                It's on the cam gear. There is either an arrow on the inner section of the gear or a line below one of the teeth that will line up with the line on the head. If you have a bentley manual it has pictures of each, there is a PDF of the manual in the DIY section i believe.
                This sounds right, but you should replace the camshaft sprocket with a cast one as ones like yours have been known to disintegrate. They also have a better mark for TDC. There's a thread somewhere with pictures of what can happen.

Comment

So i read in other threads that if you have not taken the spark plugs out, therefore the camshaft and crankchaft cannot move (and they have not moved) therefore no need to align both to TDC, and belt already out then just replace the belt as it came out and you should be ok. How true is this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by amcink View Post
                    So i read in other threads that if you have not taken the spark plugs out, therefore the camshaft and crankchaft cannot move (and they have not moved) therefore no need to align both to TDC, and belt already out then just replace the belt as it came out and you should be ok. How true is this scenario?
                    As long as you rotate the engine by hand after replacement and verify that nothing is hitting, you may be ok. I just don't trust not having any marks to go by. The timing can be a tooth off and not hurt the motor, but it will suffer performance wise. ALWAYS a good idea to verify timing marks before and after......

Comment

got it all figure out; thansk everyone

Comment

Also you have the old style stamped steel timing sprocket which is known to explode occasionally. I would change to a solid metal one while you're in there.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
                        Originally posted by blunttech
                        I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
                        Build Thread?

Comment

^Is that the sprocket!?

Comment

Yeah, intermediate can go bad too

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
                            Originally posted by blunttech
                            I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
                            Build Thread?

Comment

so how can one tell if he has the early or late model m20 in his vert?

I would imagine since I have a 90 but it was built in late 89 that its a late model correct? even though the verts switched to late model styling later on?

Im getting ready to do a head, head gasket, and various other components...starting to see this pop up, might as well change the sprockets as well if I have earlies...

Comment

Working...
                              X