Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help 325ix wont start

Hi everyone,
    i have a 88 325ix that i just did a headgaskit. I was able to start the car over the weekend but it wasnt ideling properly. How ever i tried starting it this morning and i got nothing. The dashboard lights come on but it wont click over. i have a fully charged bettery, but nothing else. i live in tacoma UP area and would love to see if some one local here can help me figure this thing out. Many thanks Sid.

since u just did the hg I would suspect the timing..like maybe the tensioner walked over in turn pushing u out of time. The not idling properly is a dead give away for out of time..

u will have to pull it all back down to confirm TDC marks on the cam gear and crank.
    Last edited by vert_this; 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Yea i thought it was the timing, i did rechecked it again. I am good in all markings, tdc and upper. It just wont even turn over strange car.

Comment

Does it click when you turn the key to try to start it?
        What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
        90 325ix

Comment

oh i thought u said it wouldnt start, like cranking but not starting.

Comment

it's odd that it was running yesterday and not today. otherwise i would have said your timing position sensor.

it's also odd that it wont crank at all. check grounds.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

ok loose connection on the battery or dead batt?

Comment

HI everyone. Just spent 2 hours on it again nothing. It wont cranck over, the bettery cables are all good. I tapped the starter that didnt do anything. I think its electrical but i just dono where to start??? strange i spend 500 dollars in new parts for tune ups gas kits timing belts tune up all that and now nothing.

Comment

I might have a ground issue, i'll check that today.

Comment

Does anyone know here are the ground point areas are for these cars? or that i should look for when doing a HG? thanks.

Comment

Battery charged? (Turn on your headlights ...are they dim?)

Get any clicking when you turn the key?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                      -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
                        Does anyone know here are the ground point areas are for these cars? or that i should look for when doing a HG? thanks.

It's in the Bentley Manual and, BTW, you can download the manual for free.

Comment

did you check the battery? 11 volts can be enough to turn the dash on, but not enough to turn the starter over. you need 13.5 volts.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Hi guys. Yes the bettery is charged fully. What's really strange is that I did not touch any of the grounds anywhere that I know of. I just hooked and unhooked the bettery. I'll recheck the bettery area. This is the strangest satiation.

Comment

turn key to the on position and see if you have 12v at the starter wire, is this car a 5sp or auto? If its and auto I would put in neutral to try to start it. I would also, again if auto put the shifter in the reverse position and see if your rear backup lights are one. If they aren't on it would most likely be the neutral safety switch on the tranny.

The only other thing I can think of is you cooked a fuse/or relay.

I just did this job today by the way and I can tell you there is nothing you would have had to disconnect that would cause a no start. You could mess up the crank sensor but that wouldn't keep it from trying to start.

I'd also try to jump start the car from the front connections inside the engine compartment. I've seen the rear ground get crusty and not work properly. I've also seen ground wires at the battery get full of corrosion/crude.

Comment

Working...
                              X