Is this a blown headgasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a blown headgasket?

Hey, friend started his car one morning and was misfiring like crazy. narrowed the misfire down to cylinders 4 and 5. cleaned injectors, new plugs, blah blah. Did a compression test and no compression on those cylinders. The car didnt overheat though and it doesnt mix coolant with oil. is this a blown headgasket?? how many hours are we looking at to replace it?

Sounds like a blown gasket between those cylinders. Just hope that's all it is.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

0 compression? Have you done a leak down test? No over heating or coolant/oil mixture sounds like a possible valve issue, no?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Comment

Either way, the head needs to come off.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

more like 35 psi on either cylinder other cylinders read 140+. no i dont have a leak down tester. but spark plugs are black so i might have to

Comment

took off the head (intake and exhaust manifold attached) and got a blown headgasket between both low cylinders. no water or oil mixing. had a experienced machine shop take a look at the head and he said its in surprisingly good condition. Being on a budget, he recommended to slap it back on with an oem gasket. He told me to use a new head bolt set. Also recommended scraping the crud off the mounting surfaces and the pistons, but not to touch any of the carbon deposits on or around the valves as they may get into the head.
            Already got the head gasket, timing belt, coolant and exhaust manifold gasket in the mail. I'm still waiting on the head bolt set, timing belt tensioner, water pump with gasket.

do you guys recommend replacing any other things in there? Any other tips for mounting the head back on? keep in mind im on a budget so I am only doing the required things.

Comment

Required things not mentioned: Intake manifold gasket, Valve cover gasket, Thermostat housing gasket.

Good things to do: Cap and rotor, Wires, Thermostat, All the O-rings. Camshaft, crankshaft, and intermediate shaft seals. Crankcase breather hose.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I did a head swap recently and I took the time since it was off, to do a valve grind, and install new valve seals. It was actually very straight forward.

Comment

How many miles are on it? I don't think I would remove a head and put it back on without it being checked out. In fact, I would use the opportunity to freshen up the head but I understand if money is a factor.

Comment

Don't just slap the head back on. Have it surfaced first.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                    X