M20 starting issue(SOLVED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 starting issue(SOLVED)

So my mother is having an issue with the m20b27(5spd) starting. It will turn over and everything, but sometimes it just does not want to start. Fuel pump and all lines are working, I am guessing a sensor? It will sometimes just die on the highway but you can turn off and turn back on then pop start every time. This weekend it has been starting and driving with no issues, but did it again this morning.

Also if you rev it sometimes it will cut right out and die. If you put load on it to speed up it will buck or kill out. It will crank and crank then catch then die out, crank some more then catch give it some gas and you can tell it is burning extra fuel after it starts. I am thinking maybe some little spark or sensor.

Spark plugs are good, so are wires.

Things I have done so far:
    Plugs and wires
    Checked fuel pump and lines
    Pump relay and main relay were changed out for 100% known working.
    All grounds, I did swap the engine over about 2 years ago. All the hose were cleaned and flushed clean with new clamps. So I am ruling vacuum leak out MAYBE. Who knows in 2 years.

I have no changed the coil or the cap, do the CPS go bad?

Is there a way to test the sensor on the AFM?
    Last edited by F34R; 06-05-2012, 10:03 AM.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Originally posted by F34R View Post
    So my mother is having an issue with the m20b27(5spd) starting. It will turn over and everything, but sometimes it just does not want to start. Fuel pump and all lines are working, I am guessing a sensor? It will sometimes just die on the highway but you can turn off and turn back on then pop start every time. This weekend it has been starting and driving with no issues, but did it again this morning.

Also if you rev it sometimes it will cut right out and die. If you put load on it to speed up it will buck or kill out. It will crank and crank then catch then die out, crank some more then catch give it some gas and you can tell it is burning extra fuel after it starts. I am thinking maybe some little spark or sensor.

Spark plugs are good, so are wires.

Things I have done so far:
    Plugs and wires
    Checked fuel pump and lines
    Pump relay and main relay were changed out for 100% known working.
    All grounds, I did swap the engine over about 2 years ago. All the hose were cleaned and flushed clean with new clamps. So I am ruling vacuum leak out MAYBE. Who knows in 2 years.

I have no changed the coil or the cap, do the CPS go bad?

Is there a way to test the sensor on the AFM?
    You can test the sensor in the AFM only with a Oscilloscope. See my signature "services" section for what its signal feedback should look like.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I have had this issue on my 86 325es. My car did not have a CPS it had two reference sensors instead. Turned out my coil was bad. I would drive it and would die after sometime but after replacing the coil it ran great.
      Originally posted by blunttech
      r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Originally posted by Killacortes View Post
        I have had this issue on my 86 325es. My car did not have a CPS it had two reference sensors instead. Turned out my coil was bad. I would drive it and would die after sometime but after replacing the coil it ran great.
        That is my thoughts, I have not replaced that yet.

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

inspect your reference sensors as well.

Comment

Already did^ and it was the coil, that was the next thing on my list. Just had to get the spares from the shop. Thanks for the reminder Killa.

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
            X