Temp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp problem

What's happening is my temperature needle is fluctuating quite bad left and right bouncing under acceleration. I Cracked the oil pan and changed it. It was running fine before that. I didn't turn the car off right away and I know that's bad so please don't get on my ass about it. Also my starter went after the oil pan job so it stars when it's on a good (connection, tooth?) idk what you call it. Could a burnt up oil pump be doing this ( I opened my fill cap and there was oil hitting the valve cover so it looks like oil is sending)? Or maybe a new temp sensor or t-stat? Let me know what y'all think. And this was not my first oil pan job, I've done it 4 times before (time for a skid plate, I know) so I don't believe it was done wrong (but I'm human; I make mistakes) so let me know any ideas you have. Thanks.

Most often an erratic needle means the nuts on the back of the gauge are lose.
    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Okay I'll check that out because it was fluttering a little bit beforehand and then after I cracked the pan it did get a lot worse

Comment

It didn't seem too loose but I tightened it. I also heard that it could be the ground on the oil pan is loose?

Comment

Here's a vid:

Comment

Originally posted by Tibs View Post
            Classic problem for SI board/batteries gone south.

Comment

Oh ok. My service indicator has been out for a while.

Comment

But my tach works fine

Comment

Another question: in the picture below there are nuts on the starter that mine don't have. Could that be messing anything up?

Comment

But my tach works fine
                    Just a matter of time before your tach goes too.

Comment

Another question: in the picture below there are nuts on the starter that mine don't have. Could that be messing anything up?
                      No.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Looks like mine have been replaced before, with lithium rather than nicad. I've heard they can wear out faster with nicad too.

Comment

Looks like mine have been replaced before, with lithium rather than nicad. I've heard they can wear out faster with nicad too.
                          Those are the OEM batteries...over 20 years old. I would first check your engine to chassis ground cable which mounts from the oil pan to the frame rail on the drivers side. If this cable is corroded or has a poor connection your temperature gauge will surely be affected.

SI board batteries can certainly cause cluster issues too. Check out my signature for more info on SI board batteries and Engine Ground Cables. I sell replacements for both.
                          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                          www.BavRest.com
                          My Feedback Thread
                          Our Facebook!
                          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                          X