ECU compatability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU compatability?

I know this is probably a newb question, but for troubleshooting purposes, can you use an ECU with a different number or from a different year (will an '87 ecu work in an '89) without damaging the ecu or anything else?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 153 and 173 units are compatible. Infact, 173 is an easy plug and play upgrade that some say improves driveability from the 153. The only units not compatible are the ETA 027 ECUs.

Comment

all motronic 1.0 ECUs are compatible (etas), and all Motronic 1.1/1.3 ECUs are compatible. but 1.0 doesn't work with 1.1/1.3.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yes, you can put a 173 on a 153 car. you cannot switch an eta ecu out for an i ecu without changing at least the harness and sensors (and all the other stuff that makes an eta and eta...).

173 has improved idle control over the 153, as well as a "simpler" circuit board (one board instead of two), and it has stomp codes.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

I guess I should have mentioned that they're both i's, I just wasn't sure which one I had in which car.

Comment

Working...
          X