Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.0 L Stroker Air/Fuel questions

Background

I am rebuilding an m20b25 with custom forged Ross Racing Pistons and an s52 crank. The engine with have a total displacement of 2979 cc and I am trying to determine the necessary steps to get this running properly.

Problem

With a larger displacement comes more air flow into the intake and that requires more fuel. Some say the stock fuel injectors are almost at full duty cycle as it is in a regular m20b25. Others also say the air flow meter is a large restriction in the system. With a 20% increase in displacement one would need to consider an increase of the same amount of air and fuel into the system.

Questions

1. I have heard fuel atomizes better at higher fuel pressures. I also have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 24 pound injectors as well as an eta fuel pressure regulator (2.5 bar vs 3.0 for i motors). What would be a better setup, stock injectors with a higher fuel pressure (~20% higher) or 24# injectors with eta FPR? Some other combination with Adjustable FPR?

2. Will the m30 AFM help anything or should I not bother? Will a MAF better suit my needs, and where do I get one?

Obviously this is a rough estimate and will need some tuning of the AFM and wideband to help with the fine tuning.

PS: I would like to start the engine on the motronic 1.0 that is in the car (m20b25 euro early model), please don't suggest megasquirt off the bat as I need to find an eta connector to take apart if I choose that route, or wire a board like this.

http://www.hpheaven.com.au/store/parts-accessories/info/1394/wolf-35-pin-bosch-motronic-connector/?cat1=1&catid=0&page=1

I'm not even sure that board has all the connections I need.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

The first step in getting where you need to be will be to switch to a MegaSquirt or something similar where you have control of what sensors are used and what fuel/advance maps to use. 17lb/hr or 19lb/hr running at 3-4bar should be sufficient for that displacement. The existing AFM isn't going to provide the data needed and you have choices (MAF or MAP) with a Megasquirt. There is no real point in using the stock harness in this case and some advantage to making your own based on how you set up the engine management system.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Hate to say it but you'l be wasting your time until you can go megasquirt. I highly suggest getting a pnp unit from whodwho. You car would run just fine on the base tune until you get the hang of it. There are also tons of knoweledgable guys on the forums that are willing to help too.

Comment

Working...
      X