1987 325 won't start! Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 325 won't start! Help

So a couple days ago I noticed my fuel filter was making lots of noise, so I started tapping on it and the car then died.

So I just replaced the fuel filter, figured it may be clogged, but the car still won't start.

What could this be?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
    1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
    1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
    1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

How bad did the gas coming out of the old filter look? I highly doubt it, but when you tapped it you could have dislodged something that is now stuck in and obstructing the fuel feed...
    sigpic'87 335i

Comment

Originally posted by SpeicherBimmer View Post
      How bad did the gas coming out of the old filter look? I highly doubt it, but when you tapped it you could have dislodged something that is now stuck in and obstructing the fuel feed...
      The fuel looked quite clean. I'm really puzzled.

How could I clear the line?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
      1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Disconnect the rubber fuel line from both ends then use compressed air to blow from the engine end. Hopefully, whatever got clogged did not travel too far into the line.

Comment

This is the 87, right? If that is the case the noise wasn't from the filter but from the high pressure pump above it. A noisy pump is one that is struggling or about to die. The pump could have failed when you tapped on the filter, or just failed on its own. A failed pump is more likely than an obstructed fuel line.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            This is the 87, right? If that is the case the noise wasn't from the filter but from the high pressure pump above it. A noisy pump is one that is struggling or about to die. The pump could have failed when you tapped on the filter, or just failed on its own. A failed pump is more likely than an obstructed fuel line.
            yes 1987 325e. That makes sense.

The car has had a terrible idle and has recently started to cut out while driving.

So it could be the pump. How can I diagnose that? Just replace it?

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Tee a gauge into the line that connects to the fuel rail and see what the pressure is when cranking. On this engine it should be 2.5bar. If lower than that the FPR could be bad, the high pump could be bad, or the transfer pump in the tank could be bad. If you have no pressure the high pressure pump is the first suspect.

Comment

Alright, so there is no fuel. Just pulled the line off at the regulator and there is nothing.
                So its a fuel pump. I'm thinking its the in tank one.

I went under the car and took off the filter and high pressure pump and there is no fuel coming out when cranking.
                This means the in tank pump is dead, correct?

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by cjdontthink View Post
                  Alright, so there is no fuel. Just pulled the line off at the regulator and there is nothing.
                  So its a fuel pump. I'm thinking its the in tank one.

I went under the car and took off the filter and high pressure pump and there is no fuel coming out when cranking.
                  This means the in tank pump is dead, correct?
                  If your in tank pump died and the HP pump was still running you could have 2 dead pumps

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by PNWDan View Post
                    If your in tank pump died and the HP pump was still running you could have 2 dead pumps
                    How would I know?

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

The in-tank transfer pump is pretty easy to test. To do so, disconnect the high pressure pump so it won't be running dry, remove the feed hose from the high pressure pump and point it into a container, and jumper the fuel pump relay socket. If fuel flows into the container the transfer pump is good.

Comment

I've probably already killed the high pressure.
                        I was cranking it with it wired up

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by cjdontthink View Post
                          I've probably already killed the high pressure.
                          I was cranking it with it wired up
                          That won't kill a high pressure pump that is n decent to good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                            That won't kill a high pressure pump that is n decent to good condition.
                            Okay. So cranking it with the hose unplugged that feed the high pressure pump would tell me if the in tanks is good right?
                            No fuel poured out when cranking

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

That does sound like a dead pump, but to be sure jumper the fuel pump relay socket. Bad timing reference sensors, a DME power problem, etc., could prevent power from being applied to the pumps since the DME controls the relay and only causes the pumps to run when it sees timing data from a rotating engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X