Timing belt age VS mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt age VS mileage

I changed my timing belt/water pump/tensioner 4 years ago when I bought my e30. Since then, the car has been driven maybe 7k miles max. I used it as a daily for about 1 year, but I only lived 11 miles from work. For the most part, it has spent the majority of its time in storage, or under the knife.

At what point should the belt be changed because of it's age, rather than miles? The belt looks fine, no cracks or damage to speak of.
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

Four years or 40k miles, whichever comes first! :)
    -Doug

Comment

Ok if this helps mine is 6 years 25K

Comment

I just redid mine, I also drive the hell out of my e30. I enjoy it at least 6 times a week. It gets grocery/errand duties, long trips, mountain runs and anything I can test my little m20 on.

3 years of hard driving, well over 40k miles.
        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

now now, let's not make this a competition to see who's lasts longer otherwise some of us will be sorry. Just change it.

Though I must admit Ed, that's impressive.

Originally posted by yert315
          Your mother is plug n play

Comment

Yeah, I was kinda surprised but wishfully thinking, to blow up my m20 to have an easy excuse to swap. Instead I opted for maintenance now.
            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

for me its 60k for the eta ;) although i open it up on the FWY once in awhile, does everyday highway driving effect the timing belt in anyway?
              1986 325e (EUR)
              Grey Market
              Zinno
              327i Build
              Zender kit
              ESM 008TA

Restoration progress TBA

Originally posted by ethrtyiS
              sweet! day after my first final. really getting waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesed up then!!

Comment

If its any consolation, I pulled the head yesterday on the 98k Cabrio that I bought with a "broken" TB. It had a sticker so was replaced at least once which puts it well within the 60k mileage interval.

Turns out the belt was NOT broken....the crank had merely stripped all of the teeth out of a section after the belt had delaminated.....from age !!
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I think 40k is a bit obsessive. 50 to 60k makes the most sense in my mind, but everyone has heard the horror stories of belts going before they should have.

I had an ETA that must've gone well over 100k with no problems before I changed it. And at one point, I even swapped the water pump without changing the belt.

Comment

Yeah, I would actually tend to worry more about about age than mileage.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...