Oil cooler setup, on b27 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler setup, on b27 block

Im trying to get a oil cooler setup together on my b27 block like this car in the thread.

Im trying to find out what threads are used on the oil filter and what sammich plate I could use for oil lines and a oil temp gauge.

Also read this thread to no info on the threads

Anybody know if these parts exist or what thread the oil filter is?

I was under the impression a stock 325i oil cooler setup was a direct bolt-on
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
      I was under the impression a stock 325i oil cooler setup was a direct bolt-on
      it is. go the junk yard pull all the stuff from an "I" then remove the filter pipe out of the block and put to cooler unit on. very simple job.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Other than to look JDM why mount it with little to no protection?
        My stock oil cooler gets beat up enough at road kill level behind a spoiler......
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
          it is. go the junk yard pull all the stuff from an "I" then remove the filter pipe out of the block and put to cooler unit on. very simple job.
          Im looking to run a bigger setup, I dont not want a stock i setup thus this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
            Im looking to run a bigger setup, I dont not want a stock i setup thus this thread.
            I think what was trying to be said is as far as adapters get a stock i one. The stock one even has a built in thermostat
            The stock hoses can come off the you can run an hose you wish and mocal cooler and ya ya ya ya
            Last edited by bmwguy325is; 08-09-2012, 06:27 PM.
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Get the oil filter adapter and lines from a 325 that has the oil cooler. Then enable full time flow in the adapter by moving the spring to the other side of the thermostat. Have a hydraulics shop replace the hoses of the lines and the cooler end fittings with AN fittings to match your cooler. The best place to mount the cooler is where the A/C condenser & aux fan would normally be.

For oil temperature, the best location is to modify the return line from the cooler for a temp sensor. The second best place is to add a bung for the sensor in the oil pan.

Oil temperature really isn't a problem on an M20B25 engine, even in a race environment. It is even less of an issue on an NA M20B27 engine. A supercharger or a turbo would be a different matter.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                I think what was trying to be said is as far as adapters get a stock i one. The stock one even has a built in thermostat
                The stock hoses can come off the you can run an hose you wish and mocal cooler and ya ya ya ya
                Ok ill look into that.
                Reason for wanting an oil cooler is that Im building the stroker right now and am in the process of making it turbo ready for next summer.

Comment

Remove oil filter bolt, screw on 325i oil filter head and lines from 88-91 facelift 325i sedan, not convertible unless facelifted. Get all parts and bolts from donor car.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I know there have been guys running no oil cooler setup on their turbo m20's for years. Me being one of them.

Comment

I kind of want to get rid of my cooler just to make oil changes easier.

Comment

Exactly what I did ^^^

I got the adapter for the oil filter so it threads on right onto the block. There's less of a chance for oil leaks as well!

Comment

^ +1 here too

i does make changine the filter 3x easier and less messy
                          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

if you dont have A/C you can face the oil filter forward and it sits where the a/c would have been. it makes oil changes easy as hell. and the cooler lines fit easier if you turbo'ed as well as the are lower and not sitting next the manifold. thats what im doing. but it wonly works if your not into your a/c. as i would rather a window down im ditching mine.

Comment

Just pieced together a kit to do this on my 2.7i turbo.

Using the trans dapt 1113 relocation kit coupled with a ford sandwich plate with 10an lines (with thermostat) a wix 51515 filter and a earl oil cooler with 10an lines. Will try to get it in next week.

Total cost without the lines for the oil cooler was around 300$

Figure mount the cooler behind the kidneys and the relocation kit ear the frame rail so I can do oil changes with minimal effort.
                              Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Working...
                              X