Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosted M20, want to run E85, quick help needed

Hey guys,

I am running an M20B25 with a Precision 6262 right now. I am also running water/meth setup with it, that I simply CAN'T trust. I have been wanting to switch over to the E85 setup. I already have a Walbro 255 running, however, my main question is WHAT size injectors should I be running to avoid running lean? This is not my daily driven car, so I don't care much for MPG. Also, I am currently on 39lb injectors. I know there has been this entire confusion between Methanol and Ethanol as far as certain deterioration in our rubber seals along our stock fuel systems. Has that been cleared up anywhere? Also, would our stock fuel pressure regulator stand strong with E85? Your help will be appreciated guys, I am tired of Methanol acting up.
    Last edited by houeis; 10-07-2012, 01:52 AM.

just curious, what is making your methanol setup act not reliable?
    Last edited by kamotors; 10-08-2012, 08:59 AM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

depends on how much power your planning to make.. I would say 80lb injectors would be enough for anything under 500whp. Either way post this question up on e30tech and you'll get more and better answers than the r3v guys

Originally posted by LowR3V'in
      It's in the name e30tech not e30offtopic

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
        just curios, but is making your methanol setup act not reliable?
        I agree with you, when used correctly a water/meth is VERY reliable and makes good power.

Originally posted by emerson. View Post
        depends on how much power your planning to make.. I would say 80lb injectors would be enough for anything under 500whp. Either way post this question up on e30tech and you'll get more and better answers than the r3v guys
        You are correct with the injector sizing and 80lb minimum with e85 (depending on boost levels and actual ethanol content for his area). I run 1650's (164lb) in my evo :D

OP, what are your power goals? Easy to get E85?

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Also didn't mean to bash r3v. Just the boost section here is meh at best

Originally posted by LowR3V'in
          It's in the name e30tech not e30offtopic

Comment

Hey guys,

I just don't trust the bumps on water/meth. With E85 easily accessible here, I do not have a problem removing yet another potentially failing component from the car and replacing it with simple upgrades while delivering more power. I am looking to sit in the 400whp range safely.

Comment

what bumps with methanol? I installed mine and fill it up every month and its fine. its been 100% reliable and efficient at keeping temps down. I daily drive and track my car at 20psi and I never need to worry about the meth system.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Hey Kam, when are starting to spray your meth as far as PSI goes? Also what kit are you on right now? I have noticed residual amounts of water/meth in my intercooler piping and that worries me. Unless that is normal (I highly doubt it), then I have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by houeis View Post
                  Hey Kam, when are starting to spray your meth as far as PSI goes? Also what kit are you on right now? I have noticed residual amounts of water/meth in my intercooler piping and that worries me. Unless that is normal (I highly doubt it), then I have nothing to worry about.
                  methanol kicks on at around 10psi . your not supposed to get any residual meth anywhere, where are you spraying it at? it needs to be as close to the manifold as possible. it pretty much steam cleans my manifold and no residual liquids are left behind.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I'm running the 300-400hp (m5) nozzle with the cooling mist kit. literally works perfect and the pump is a 200-250 psi pump

7speedshop.com

Comment

Ok, that might be the issue then. I know mine it running a tad before 10psi. I will see if I can raise it up a bit for my next tune, and see if that issue persists. I am running it right before the bend on the to the throttle body.

Comment

Originally posted by houeis View Post
                        Hey guys,

I am running an M20B25 with a Precision 6262 right now. I am also running water/meth setup with it, that I simply CAN'T trust. I have been wanting to switch over to the E85 setup. I already have a Walbro 255 running, however, my main question is WHAT size injectors should I be running to avoid running lean? This is not my daily driven car, so I don't care much for MPG. Also, I am currently on 39lb injectors. I know there has been this entire confusion between Methanol and Ethanol as far as certain deterioration in our rubber seals along our stock fuel systems. Has that been cleared up anywhere? Also, would our stock fuel pressure regulator stand strong with E85? Your help will be appreciated guys, I am tired of Methanol acting up.

For sizing E85, you need roughly 30% more injector for the same amount of power with 91-93 octane.

If you are talking about the black goop that gets clogged in fuel systems when running e85 for a few tanks. I did a lot of research on this and what it seems to be is tanker, refineries, shop owners who are purchasing and selling/ transporting or producing E85 have been using old diesel tanks, as in reusing a tank. The rubber hoses or liners or something that is used when mixed with e85 breaks down. Its not visible and cant be filtered out. when running e85 meaning every tank for 6+ tanks you get a high chance of getting a batch with this material. The reason it gets by the filter is it only becomes black goop when it heats up. since the fuel is normally cool except near the injector where the goop becomes solidified and becomes present. Running a walboro at a higher voltage equaling more flow rate has in my eyes also cause the black goop to be present as the fuel pump operates at a higher temperature and causing the chemical reaction.

The main way to prevent this is dont run e85 for a lot of consecutive tanks, 2 tanks of e85 then a tank of 91+ octane then e85. also watch your afr's they will indicate an issue quickly as the injectors become clogged causing lean issues. If you follow this your lines and regulator should be fine

Comment

Working...
                        X