Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lost oil pressure, engine died, no sweat.(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Would you mind PMing me the cost? My engine just died on the road right after my engine oil pressure light came on....I'm not sure if my motor is toast, and the there was the right amount of oil on the dipstick...
    I don't know what shop would charge, but it would be way more than the cost of a good used engine.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by BMWManiac View Post
      Would you mind PMing me the cost? My engine just died on the road right after my engine oil pressure light came on....I'm not sure if my motor is toast, and the there was the right amount of oil on the dipstick...

So, what is a reasonable amount to expect to pay (range) for a BMW shop to rebuild a motor with removing and reinstalling it? Let's say, nothing performance, performance reuse all rods/pistons.
      that's a little confusing to me.. so you checked the oil and it was ok? did you try to crank it after it died? if your oil level was good but you lost oil pressure it could be a number of things that went wrong (oil pump spontaneously failed, intermediate shaft seized).. I would figure out what caused that first, and then disassemble your motor to inspect for damage (main & rod bearings, mainly)..

I'll let you know the labor cost when it's all said and done.. I'm definitely not going stock though - we're doing a full valve cover to oil pan build on a spare motor and then just swapping it out, which shouldn't take more than a day or two..
      it's also gonna cost significantly more to R&R all the bearings and have the block machined for the new pistons
      unless you're doing something similar, expect some serious downtime if you're having your existing motor worked on..
      you should check your regional forum for local BMW shops and check with them..
      Make the bastard chase you.

Comment

D I'd start a whole new thread for the engine build. Cant wait to see it.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
          D I'd start a whole new thread for the engine build. Cant wait to see it.
          will do, buddy.. I just put new batteries in that old school digital camera I got from you.. gonna start taking some pics of all the parts I'm buying so I can look and them with my receipts and cry later
          Make the bastard chase you.

Comment

100+mph will dry out those tears, dont worry ;)
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
            X