X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B27 intermittant issue

Right now this motor has 2 modes of operation:

1: runs as normally as a 300k motor can

2: runs so filthy rich that it won't even idle unless I unplug the AFM.

I'm kind of stumped on this one. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak but the elbow, hoses, usual suspects look ok. So I replaced the intake manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, vent tube seals. no change. In retrospect the intermittant nature of this should have warned me it's probably not mechanical. next?

-New coolant temp sensor
    -tried spare AFM
    -tried spare ECU
    -O2 is unplugged
    -tried without TPS
    -tried without cold start injector

every time, car will come up, idle great in the driveway.. as soon as I go around the block it goes into asshole mode about halfway through, limp it back home with my foot 1/3 way down on throttle just to keep it from stalling.

When it's in this mode, idling with the AFM unplugged, I started probing around, wiggling wires, etc. Can't seem to find the culprit. AFM connector has 5V just fine. If I plug AFM in the car just immediately dies.

Any ideas??
    sigpic
    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
    If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

The engine's behavior with respect to the AFM suggests an intake leak. A smoke test will will tell if and where one is.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

does afm flap get stuck open?

Comment

putzed around with this again, checking grounds and stuff. Still runs like a top with AFM unplugged, the second I plug it in it goes super rich and dies. Tried spare AFM and spare ECU again. It never ran properly this time.. both AFM flaps are smooth and normal.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
        If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Working...
        X