Engine Backfires After Changing Injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Backfires After Changing Injectors

Mechanic changed the injectors to 17lb M50s, flow tested, new seals and filters, ultrasonic cleaned. Its running on a 24hp Ebay chip.

Its hard starting. When it starts, it won't idle, sputters, backfires, emits black and white smoke, and dies. Rev high or low, it sputters and dies. It seems that its getting flooded.

Before I replaced it, car was ok with Ebay chip and stock injectors but there was a slight tumble on the idle, without the RPMs changing at 800 RPM.

1. Backfire due to vacuum leaks?
    2. Old pintle caps stuck in the combustion chamber?
    3. Injector not seated well, thus, vacuum leak?

What else should I check on?

Thanks!

Someone should know if you are missing a pintle but also could be he reversed the fuel lines or miswired the injectors (although that should not be easy to do). Id start there.
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

are all the spark plug wires attached to cap in the correct position

Comment

Originally posted by Chruby99 View Post
        are all the spark plug wires attached to cap in the correct position
        Yes, they are. In fact, returned the old injectors and the problem still exists. My hunch is that its electrical, and has something to do with the injector wiring harness. Replaced the ECU and returned it to stock with the stock injectors, and now the car still backfires, and won't idle. When we removed the plugs, all were wet with fuel, so its flooding. Absolutely at a loss now especially with the misfiring.

Problem is, it was perfectly fine before we changed injectors.

AFM is new
        Distributor cap is ok
        ECU is ok

Grounding? Where is the ground for the injector wiring harness?

Comment

Now running after fixing electrical issues.

Comment

ignition timing? fuel regulator? i dunno

just throwing ideas out...
            2007 Mazda CX-7 (red TURBO!!)
            1985 BMW 318i.... beige!
            2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600 (red)

previous cars
            1) 1994 Isuzu Trooper (blue)
            2) 2005 Scion tC (panda w/ CF)
            3) 2001 Toyota Avalon (silver)
            4) 1988 Nissan Pulsar XE (T top in red)

Comment

what was the cause of this issue or did you resolve it? Im having the exact same thing happen to me. It has "carb farts" along with the spark plugs being coated in fuel like its running really rich. I am running m50 injectors as well.

Comment

Mechanic mentioned a number of things, but what I observed was he forgot to remove the negative terminal BEFORE he replaced the injectors. Somehow, it ruined the ignition coil, which was the cause of the backfire. Coil was perfect prior to replacement.

Backfire checklist. Possible causes: unburnt fuel, incomplete / no spark, stuck valve

1. Check coil
                2. Check each spark plug
                3. Check connections of injectors
                4. Check impedance of injectors
                5. Reset ECU
                6. Turn crank and see if a valve gets stuck (maybe pintle caps fell off, etc.)

Misfiring
                1. Check grounds: ECU, main C101
                2. Check AFM flap
                3. Check distributor cap

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure about your case, but mine has a chip. Do you have one? I read somewhere here that M50 injectors will not run well on a stock chip. Stock injectors will run on any chip well though.

Comment

Working...
                X