Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20B27 Engine Hesitation After Gear Shift

***12/2/2012 Issue has been resolved see last post***

I have a bogging down issue when the car will be sluggish even with the gas fully depressed then after about 5 seconds start running again. I have changed the following parts:

Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Fuel Pressure Regulator, rebuilt AFM.

What's driving me most crazy is all the things that I've replaced have been tested to be out of specification but still aren't solving the original symptoms of severe sluggish behavior from 2000-3000RPMS. The engine revs but the car doesn't move.

I'm down to replacing the Coolant Temp sensor because that's the last item on the list that might cause symptoms like this along with a slight cold startup erratic idle (maybe 100RPMS)

If it helps brainstorm ideas I've also have the clutch replaced about a year ago with a new Sachs one including all the seals, pilot bearing, throwout bearing the whole nine yards.

Would love some ideas of what to test next beyond these things. Throttle position sensor, fuel pressure et all? I've got electrical testing equipment but not fuel and it's a 40 minute drive to "rent" one from a parts store.

In exchange photo of sad children that want to drive in car in question (on the right, the rusty one)

Last edited by nny403; 12-02-2012, 10:45 PM. Reason: Fixed
    Anti sigpic Stance

Beautiful family...I would check for vacuum leaks.

Comment

I would test the DME CTS using a potentiometer and making sure it's within spec. should be about 270ohms at operating temp and 1200-1400 cold start IIRC.

H&R OE Sport Springs - Bilstein HD's - Kosei K1's ET27 - Toyo R888 - ZHP 5spd knob - BavAuto strut bar - DINAN Chip - E30 M3 Offset Bushings - Colgan bra - P-car daily

Comment

For fun going to try this: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081547.html
        Anti sigpic Stance

Comment

Smoke test was unrevealing, which is good and bad because a year ago I paid to have it smoke tested and fixed all vacuum leaks.

Have coolant temp sensor, will need to get a collar to make it fit as for some reason the openings on the thermostat housing are unusually large. Will report on success or failure at that point.
          Anti sigpic Stance

Comment

In your post you state that "The engine revs but the car doesn't move." That can only be a slipping clutch.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              In your post you state that "The engine revs but the car doesn't move." That can only be a slipping clutch.
              I reread and you're correct that's what I said, however it was a mistake of words. The engine will not rev and takes several seconds of full throttle before it will begin to accelerate at all. However, it seems the early cars have a different coolant temp sensor so I either try to locate one or get a collar to make it fit.
              Anti sigpic Stance

Comment

A bad o2 seonsor could cause it to run excessively lean, which would cause this. AFM trace could also be worn.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

sounds like what my car did. i have an 86 eta i would give it gas and it wouldnt go and felt sluggish. never solved the problem but i pulled the head and found water in my head and oil.

Comment

Resolved. Cleaned TPS and replaced coolant temp sensor. Thanks for suggestions guys. Temp sensor was slightly out of specification. For the record, I had replaced the oxygen sensor this summer and the mass air flow was rebuilt by a great guy on this forum, PM him if you want to have it done. Makes a lot of difference in throttle response.

Gregs///M

is his user name. It's well worth the $100 you'll pay.
                    Anti sigpic Stance

Comment

Originally posted by nny403 View Post
                      Resolved. Cleaned TPS and replaced coolant temp sensor. Thanks for suggestions guys. Temp sensor was slightly out of specification. For the record, I had replaced the oxygen sensor this summer and the mass air flow was rebuilt by a great guy on this forum, PM him if you want to have it done. Makes a lot of difference in throttle response.

Gregs///M

is his user name. It's well worth the $100 you'll pay.
                      Good to haear!

H&R OE Sport Springs - Bilstein HD's - Kosei K1's ET27 - Toyo R888 - ZHP 5spd knob - BavAuto strut bar - DINAN Chip - E30 M3 Offset Bushings - Colgan bra - P-car daily

Comment

Working...
                      X