How bad is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad is this?

I was cleaning my engine block of the head gasket residue with some break cleaner and a razor blade, and not paying attention I accidentally took a flake of metal off with the razor.....

It was right where the head gasket meets the cylinder hole.

I don't have pics right now but it was a very thin flake of metal, please tell me I didn't just mess everything up :(
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

You won't be taking metal off a cast iron block with a razor blade ;)
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

even if it's an aluminum block you will be fine. I doubt you would be able to take enough off with a razor blade to cause harm.

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
        You won't be taking metal off a cast iron block with a razor blade ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

I definitely took a small flake right off of the surface of the block, I will take picks asap but it was pretty thin so I hope i will be fine.

Comment

Those Bic blades are something, arent they
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
              I definitely took a small flake right off of the surface of the block, I will take picks asap but it was pretty thin so I hope i will be fine.
              I believe you but its not a big deal unless its right in the cylinder wall/lip, worse case scenario you get another m20 block for 100

Comment

It wouldn't take much to upset a firing ring seal. Lay your new gasket on the block where the nick is. Look for the sealing feature of the gasket (I think these have a metal inner firing ring in a fiber gasket) and see how much of that metal covers your nick. If there is metal (on the gasket) that seals flat to flat (no nick) in the area you should be ok.

That's really hard to describe with words! Unless you are nicked clean across the metal ring area of the gasket, you probably have nothing to worry about. Unless you're boosting this thing...

Comment

Its more of a scratch then a flake, but here are some pics
                  Attached Files

Comment

you're fine. you need to clean the block a lot lot more. and that scratch will come out as u do that.
                    Much wow
                    I hate 4 doors

Comment

You should hit that with an angled die-grinder and non-abrasive cleaning pad anyway.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

You worry about that?

Comment

Well I spent about a hour or two scrapping with a razor.. Not much progress so I bought a fine bristled brass wire wheel, and that help out alot

Comment

Make sure you seriously clean the cylinders out with compressed air

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                            -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                              Well I spent about a hour or two scrapping with a razor.. Not much progress so I bought a fine bristled brass wire wheel, and that help out alot
                              use green scotchbright pads and a block of wood.
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                              X