oil light flicker at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil light flicker at idle

so i have a freshly rebuilt motor , with 500 miles on it im running 10-30 for the most part, i have a small oil leak from the oil cooler line that leaves a drop of oil the size of a half dollar when parked , my oil seems to get lower a quart every once in a while so ive put in valvoline straight 50w 2quarts and it slowed the leak. i have no clue how much oil i loose when i drive it. then today it sounded clacky from the valves at 3500 rpm like the valves were dry on oil or something could be a loose shroud or something idk car was hott when i heard this , but mainly the oil light flickers when at a low idle and soon as i touch the pedal light goes away , i didnt replace the oil pump during the rebuild , i hear a noise that sounds somewhat like a knock at idle when cold for about a split second
    Last edited by e30m20TurbO7; 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM.

Except in extreme cold conditions 10w30 is too thin an oil for an M20 engine. In winter in Utah a 10w40 would be the better choice. The choice of filter also matters as some have more restriction than others. A BMW, Mann, or Mobil-1 filter would be my choice. That might be enough to eliminate the flicker.

You really should test oil pressure with a gauge to find out what is going on. The pressure could be okay and the switch bad (it should trip at 7psi), or there could be a problem in the engine.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks a bunch I'm running a bousch filter I have a mahle one ready for install

Comment

it is not uncommon for the oil pressure sensors crap out so i would check that as well
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thanks il have to check that out as well
          Originally posted by digger View Post
          it is not uncommon for the oil pressure sensors crap out so i would check that as well

Comment

just leave it mine does it too its very very common on all older bmw's

you could change oil viscosity or change the pressure sensor or just leave it there is nothing going wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworx View Post
              just leave it mine does it too its very very common on all older bmw's

you could change oil viscosity or change the pressure sensor or just leave it there is nothing going wrong.
              but maybe there is an actual serious problem, using the recommended viscosity and making sure the sensor is working is worth doing especially if you have just rebuilt it 500km ago.;)
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
              X