Polishing inside of BBTB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing inside of BBTB?

Picked up a BBTB. Wondering if there is any merit in polishing the inside of it. Any of you engine gurus want to chime in?

Thanks guys.
    E30 Dinan Turbo

How rough is it to begin with? Waste of time most likely.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

with boost?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
        How rough is it to begin with? Waste of time most likely.
        Originally posted by Syncro325is View Post
        with boost?
        Thanks for responding guys. No boost. Not rough at all, very very smooth just not a mirror finish.
        E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

I would say its a story of diminishing returns. If you've got some fine sandpaper around and an hour of extra time, go for it.

It will not make any appreciable difference, but it won't hurt anything either.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

A mirror finish will NOT help you. Air travels faster over air VS a surface. A little turbulence on the outside of the OD will have more velocity because it will be flowing over air. I doubt you will see any gains by doing it, infact, you MAY hurt it. Not tons, but it will be worse tham before without the polishing.

If you are dead set on it, take a die grinder and emory cloth and male a flap wheel to put a SLIGHTLY rough surface back into it. You MAY gain something there because it will be a uniform texture.
            Last edited by der affe; 12-26-2012, 06:10 PM.
            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
              I would say its a story of diminishing returns. If you've got some fine sandpaper around and an hour of extra time, go for it.

It will not make any appreciable difference, but it won't hurt anything either.

I don't have fine sandpaper but I do have mothers metal polish I used on my RS lips. That was more or less what I was talking about though. But yeah you are probably right on the diminishing returns. Hell as long as it doesn't hurt anything why not.
              E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Corrected it to say OD. Without fine paper, it will take you FOREVER to do it with Mothers polish.
                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                  A mirror finish will NOT help you. Air travels faster over air VS a surface. A little turbulence on the outside of the ID will have more velocity because it will be flowing over air. I doubt you will see any gains by doing it, infact, you MAY hurt it. Not tons, but it will be worse tham before without the polishing.

If you are dead set on it, take a die grinder and emory cloth and male a flap wheel to put a SLIGHTLY rough surface back into it. You MAY gain something there because it will be a uniform texture.
                  Interesting... Thanks for the input guys.

I have read about what you are talking about in regards to the intake manifold, which is why I posted this question.

By the way, I picked this up from riot racing... Todd is a great guy to work with and sells a great product.
                  E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

don't waste time and effort on things that firstly dont do anything and even if they look pretty cant be seen
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                    X