Puddle of coolant near rear of engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle of coolant near rear of engine?

So today I found a moderately sized puddle of coolant that had accumulated on the ground near the rear of the engine. My first thought was a head gasket leak but my oil looks fine and there's no smoke coming out of my exhaust... Are there other things I should be looking for? Is there anything else that might leak and run down the exhaust or something? Anyone with experience with a leak in this general area?

Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

water hose on the back of the head?

Comment

Hose on the back of the head or the gasket for the pipe back there
      -Andy

Comment

Hoses to/from the heater core
        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
          Hose on the back of the head or the gasket for the pipe back there
          I've ever seen the bracket split in half back there. If that occurred though the coolant would be gussing out back there.

Comment

I had a rear head gasket leak without any smoking out of the exhaust for what its worth. The leak originated from under the intake manifold, very close to the rear coolant hose.

I can provide a pic if needed

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm letting it sit overnight so I can double check the puddle location.

Originally posted by Andy348 View Post
              I had a rear head gasket leak without any smoking out of the exhaust for what its worth. The leak originated from under the intake manifold, very close to the rear coolant hose.

I can provide a pic if needed
              Any pics would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Coolant overflow hose can give you a puddle in the rear of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                  Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm letting it sit overnight so I can double check the puddle location.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated!

you can see the hose and its attached to bracket that bolts to back of the head and in between is a gasket too.

Comment

We just looked all over the engine and can't find any signs of leakage... WTF???

I'm about to go out and test the pressure in all the cylinders to narrow some of the causes down...

Comment

Here's a picture of my leak after I started the teardown. It was very difficult to see beforehand.

Comment

^ Was it a big leak? Because I am having difficulty seeing any signs of coolant leakage... I noticed the bottom outlet on my radiator was leaking, so I have to figure that out. But, I didn't notice any coolant "paths" on the transmission, the heat shield thingy or anywhere really...

Comment

Not huge, no. Maybe 5-6 inches in diameter.

Could it be the throttle body leaking some coolant down the block? If you haven't already, take a flashlight and ram your head in under the intake manifold and poke around some. It ain't fun, but it seemed to be the only way I could find the trace of my leak.

For what its worth, here's my original thread, might have something helpful: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268837

Comment

Well, I just ordered some UV dye and a black light. Maybe that will... ( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐□-□ (⌐□_□) ...shed some light on this ordeal.

Comment

Well... I checked the UV dye today after driving around for a couple days. Nothing around the head gasket. There was some leaking coming from some of the coolant pipes at the front on the engine but nothing from the rear...

I am thinking that the leak stopped after I tightened up the heater core hose clamps.

Comment

Working...
                              X