Son of a [bitch tube]!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son of a [bitch tube]!

I've been having similiar issues to the guy in this thread, crappy cold starts, long cranking to fire on a warm start, and overall poor performance/fuel economy. I've been to a couple different mechanics saying vacuum leaks, but neither of them was willing to smoke test or check for intake leaks before checking everything else first. I've replaced every sensor, and every gasket, hose, ignition and fuel part on the entire engine with new and had only minor improvements so today I met up with Goose and he threw the smoke machine on my car. We immediately found smoke billowing out of the oil return tube on both ends as well as from the brake booster where I always suspected the o-ring to the master cylinder was missing.

Is the intake tube repair as horrid as I have heard? Does anyone have any tips and tricks or should I just take it to a reputable shop and throw a couple hundred at them to be sure the car will run right, with a warranty.

PS: Jlevie is right again. I should have forced a shop to do this test ages ago
    Last edited by Varinn; 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM.
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Smoke was billowing out the top and bottom of the bitch tube.
    I love the smoke test, can't believe how well this works as a diagnostic tool, I can't help but keep telling people to listen to the advice about having this test done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    1999 540iA - Daily Driver

Comment

Leaks at the oil return (bitch tube) aren't hard to fix, but you will have to remove the intake manifold. Use of a 1/4" drive ratchet, extension, and flex joint makes that easier. But it is mostly done by feel. A helper to hold the tube down against the spring is a plus.

Get new oil return tube o-rings and new intake gaskets.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The leaks on the intake tube are annoying me, as all of the o-rings were replaced when the engine was dropped in less than 15,000km ago. I might end up just taking it to a shop as I'm reaching a point where I value my time more than the cost of the shop work, or potential do-overs if I were to make a mistake somewhere in the process.
        1990 332i, 4 door
        2008 KTM 990 Superduke
        2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

Do you need that tube? I mean it seriously though. Can it just be plugged at both ends?

Is it just to drain any collected oil in the intake, back to the crankcase?
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I paid a shop and they resealed my tube without pulling the manifold.
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Zip tie and slide the compressed spring on the tube. Install then cut and remove the zip tie.
              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
              ~ '87 535
              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                Do you need that tube? I mean it seriously though. Can it just be plugged at both ends?

Is it just to drain any collected oil in the intake, back to the crankcase?
                Seriously ? The tube is the only way for oil to get back to the pan after lubricating the valve train and the channel that passes through the intake manifold is isolated from the runners.

As for the install..
                Attached Files
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks for the pic!

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                    Seriously ? The tube is the only way for oil to get back to the pan after lubricating the valve train and the channel that passes through the intake manifold is isolated from the runners.

As for the install..
                    Wrong. The engine sits at a angle, there are six oil return passages on the exhaust side. The tube is for crank case gasses.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post

As for the install..
                      Originally posted by Me+SPEED= View Post
                      Wrong. The engine sits at a angle, there are six oil return passages on the exhaust side. The tube is for crank case gasses.
                      This is what I was wondering.
                      I know very little about the m20, as my car is a low miler and runs like a top, whereas the s14 has a hose setup similar to this that goes into a separator before going back into the plenum, and tons of guys have disconnected the hose at the plenum.
                      Originally posted by codyep3
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                      2010 F650gs twin
                      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Me+SPEED= View Post
                        Actually is does both jobs (as do the oil return passages). At high rpm oil will stack in the head faster than it flows through the return passages, which is when the oil return tube comes into play.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                          Actually is does both jobs (as do the oil return passages). At high rpm oil will stack in the head faster than it flows through the return passages, which is when the oil return tube comes into play.
                          Theoretically yes but likely no. Every engine has blowbye. No matter what. So there would be an up draft especially at high rpm sufficient enough to prevent most if not all of oil back flow through that passage. It doesn't take much to stop oil from going down thT tube( not to mention the head is tilted away from that tube) Even at idle there could be enough crank case gasses coming up to stop oil. I took my head off last night and there was no oil residue in the tube but oil was clearly present in the oil drain tubes on the other side of the head. So possible sure but very unlikely.

Comment

Well, I have a Paul Poore pan (baffled with mouse traps) on my Spec E30 and the pan has about an extra two quarts of capacity. I'll see a drop in oil press, not dangerously so, under braking at the end of a long straight when the oil in the pan surges forward. A few others have observed the same thing. The most likely explanation is oil stacking in the head from sustained high speed operation. With that much oil in the head at least some of it will be going down the oil return tube.

Comment

The way I see it, is it's there for a reason. It will be repaired in my car, not removed
                              1990 332i, 4 door
                              2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                              2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Comment

Working...
                              X