2.9 build. (long and slow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.9 build. (long and slow)

this will be a fairly slow 2.9 build as kids and work can keep from work. so i finally tore down my spare m20 block and have finished compiling parts for my stroker build (except for the pistons being ordered next week) the head was dropped off today for a good port/polish and an install of +1mm intake valves. the block i will be cleaning and painting and re freezeplugging this weekend. hopefully next weekend i can start building my wires for my msd wasted spark setup. The car will be on e85. i will post pics as i go. i will be running this setup:

m52b28 crank - have
    135mm rods- have
    13:1 custom pistons 85mm bore - need
    +1mm intake valves - need
    head work (cleanup/port and polish) - being done
    arp everywhere - have
    304*ish cam - still undecided
    aem 320lph in tank pump - have
    msd v6 mustang wasted spark setup - have and building
    megasquirt - have
    42lb injectors (obviously e85 compatable) - have

thats all i can think of for now. here are some pics of my car. more to come. feel free to pitch ideas and/or criticism. I have no power goals or expectations. il make however much i do when its done and tuned. also if anyone cares specs on wheels are 15x10 0 offset diamond racing.

build thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=277740

304 cam?? thats alot open.. nice. E85 can make some power for sure. But you needs TONS of it.. have fun w build!!
    Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Pumped to see finished product!
      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

will need a custom intake fannymold to avoid pissing into the wind and dont cheap out on the header
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

can anyone give some insight into possibly using m42 140mm rods as apposed to m20 135mm rods will do? it is more of an ideal ratio to use the longer rod no? what will this do for the power range of the engine (ie making power to factory rev limiter)?

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
            Pumped to see finished product!
            yah im pretty jazzed meeself
            Originally posted by digger View Post
            will need a custom intake fannymold to avoid pissing into the wind and dont cheap out on the header
            yah, i dont plan on skimping out, as soon as the return gets here i am planning on either ordering the entire extrudabody itb kit in 40mm or just buying the itb manifolds and running silvertop 4age 38mm tbs. anything above 40mm flows way way to much for my purposes. as far as exhaust im hoping il find it in my budget to head down to rpm in Oceanside and have Rich build me up a decent long tube header for a few cases of brew and some coin. or just order up a schmiedmann ;)
            Last edited by Liv3mind; 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Out of curiousity why not go 24v?

Not dogging on you for wanting to build an m20, just curious!

Will be interesting to see how much power you make, GL!
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
              1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
              1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by cjdontthink View Post
                Out of curiousity why not go 24v?

Not dogging on you for wanting to build an m20, just curious!

Will be interesting to see how much power you make, GL!
                no offense taken at all. i very well may 24v swap it later, there are two main reasons for choosing to build this engine.

1. at this point in my car owning mentality i feel like if i don't build the engine that's in it originally then i may as well have just saved a little more and bought a e36, which i didn't want.

2. i see alot of stroker builds go together and make very minimal power gains, i feel i understand why but for some ill fated reason i still want to give it a run myself. which is why i refuse to get my hopes up with power expectations haha

for me its just about proving to myself that i can make a decent project come together, because i have been patient i have gotten pretty sweet deals on everything thusfar. the beauty of the whole situation is if i am not satisfied with the power of the car i can sell off a lot of the parts/engine and 24v swap anyways and i will walk away with what i feel is invaluable knowledge gained, for me its not just about the money.

Comment

The mechanical aspect of this sounds cool. The looks department not so much though..

1992 BMW 325iC
                  1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                  1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by Liv3mind View Post
                    can anyone give some insight into possibly using m42 140mm rods as apposed to m20 135mm rods will do? it is more of an ideal ratio to use the longer rod no? what will this do for the power range of the engine (ie making power to factory rev limiter)?
                    longer rods wont do anything for performance that is worth considering in all honesty. The reason being that apart from the exhaust the pull on the port and intake comes from the piston motion (velocity) and if you compare the velocity with a 135mm rod vs 140mm rod you'd be hard pressed to see any difference. if you want to pull hard on the port use a longer stroke or bigger bore then you'll make a difference.

you might consider longer rods if the rod ratio was such that longevity would suffer due to the angle of the rod sideways into the cylinder causing instability and extra wear or if the piston skirt would come too far out of the bottom of the bore and be unsupported at BDC but given many have use a longer stroke with 135mm rods you needn't worry about the length too much....

Last edited by digger; 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM.
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

13:1! Dang son. That's going to be bitchin. I bet with your parts combo you got this is going to be a nasty machine. AWESOME! can't wat to see er done. Will the drivability be bad though? Sounds like this thing is going to love living at high rpms!

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        longer rods wont do anything for performance that is worth considering in all honesty. The reason being that apart from the exhaust the pull on the port and intake comes from the piston motion (velocity) and if you compare the velocity with a 135mm rod vs 140mm rod you'd be hard pressed to see any difference. if you want to pull hard on the port use a longer stroke or bigger bore then you'll make a difference.

you might consider longer rods if the rod ratio was such that longevity would suffer due to the angle of the rod sideways into the cylinder causing instability and extra wear or if the piston skirt would come too far out of the bottom of the bore and be unsupported at BDC but given many have use a longer stroke with 135mm rods you needn't worry about the length too much....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCd4j...Pc19w&index=14
                        that video was very informative and thanks for the info, i appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by monsterm20 View Post
                          13:1! Dang son. That's going to be bitchin. I bet with your parts combo you got this is going to be a nasty machine. AWESOME! can't wat to see er done. Will the drivability be bad though? Sounds like this thing is going to love living at high rpms!
                          im excited as well. im not too concerned with drivability because she isnt my daily, it should be wild and above 4k this engine is gonna scream murder. im droping the block off tomorrow to be checked for tolerances/wear/etc and to be tanked, its a dirty mess. someday after the engine is done il start on the body. also forgot to mention im thinking 6 speed may be in order with a 3.25lsd? my 4.10 will be way too much

Comment

haha, 6 speed.. i swear.

where/how much did u find 13:1 pistons?! i'm doing a 2.8 with the 'i' pistons but i'm not expecting more then 9:1 with the same crank..

interested to see where this goes further down the road. a lot of controversial topics between our two builds..
                            '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                            '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Originally posted by FlexdXJ
                            Is that thing on air?

Comment

I wish I was you. With a 6 speed your car will be insane. The diff between a 5 and a 6 is night and day. Your going to have to post a vid with good sound so I can hear this beast.

Comment

Working...
                              X