rebuilt m20 2.7i wont idle kinda revs , found out problem hahah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilt m20 2.7i wont idle kinda revs , found out problem hahah

I CLOCKED THE HARMONIC BALANCER WRONG AND IT CAUSE THE IGNITION TIMING TO BE OFF CAUSING IT TO SORTA RUN . what an idiot I am hahaha runs great better than ever I just started tearing in to it and I figured it out after spending 100 dollars on diagnostic

so i just finished rebuilding my motor in my car . i have only gotten it to run with me feathering the throttle, at first i got it to run with out exhaust and coolant hoses or vacuum lines. It didnt rev at all i had to keep the throttle half way open to keep it alive me thinking this was normal because i had no Vacuum lines on , so after accomplishing a dry start i decided to put everything on, note:i replaced the coolant temp sensor before i finished putting the engine together . i replaced the fuel filter with a new one , i had a rigged stock filter up in the engine bay and i relocated it wear it belonged near the gas tank , then adding a little clear filter by the fuel rail , the o2 sensor connector is part way melted but i still think its functional. the car wont run , Car will not run with the maf and iac connected will run without it and it wont rev. If i connect them i can get the car to run but it wont rev and it will runn like shit . ive checked'
    new throttle body gasket
    new intake gaskets
    new spark plugs
    new fuel filter
    injector o-rings
    new fuel pump
    new fpr
    new valve cover to throttle body hose
    brake booster vacuum line
    tps sensor adjusted
    intake boot
    cleaned iac
    checked the valve cover for intake leaks
    checked the ecu i have 2 of them I swapped one and the car still acted the same
    o2 sensor seems sketchy but i dont think it would keep my car from running or idleing
    timing is right
    ignition system is checked
    checked the intake for leaks using carb cleaner and found none
    the only thing i havent checked yet because i remembered as i was leaving was the bitch tube but when i installed it i put sealent on the oring and it wasnt in to bad of shape

i had previously adjusted my tps to see if would change and i never changed it back to where it was angled before could that be why im not running?
    Last edited by e30m20TurbO7; 04-08-2013, 02:00 AM.

help anyone anything
    Last edited by e30m20TurbO7; 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

first you need to take care of the O2 sensor problem. It could be sending the ECU false signals. It directly controls the fuel mixture and could definitely be your issue.
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Disconnect the O2 sensor to see if the engine starts. Tee in a fuel pressure gauge to see what is happening to the fuel pressure.

Comment

The exhaust turning red hot and the plugs fouling could be incorrect valve timing and/or incorrect AFR.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I removed the air box and I got the car to run and idle without me touching the throttle , that's no iac and no airbox , ran smoothly and didn't smoke , going to fill the coolig system

Comment

so i got the car to stop blowing black smoke and i no longer need to use the throttle to get it started heres an update , i cant rev it or it will die and the videos do most of the explaning
              Last edited by e30m20TurbO7; 03-26-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

come on anyone think its vacuum leaks

Comment

What is it I can not get it to run

Comment

check the cps < for any rips or if its plugged in lol , if u reused the old one, and reset your ECU if your check engine light has an error code < or check for error codes that would help alot i had my maf unplugged got 1215 < and it wouldnt go away untill i reset it by unplugging the batt , u can reset it with out the batt being unplugged tho
                    Sold Black BMW E30 325IS
                    1987 bmw e30 euro part out
                    1990 Bmw 325i Cabrio 2.9
                    Metric Mechanic 2.9 stroker
                    Holset Hx35w CXRacing Manifold
                    MegaSquirt ARP HeadStuds
                    OEM HG AEM Methanol injection
                    20psi

Comment

i checked the cps , i believe you wont obtain any spark if its disconnected
                      the car wouldnt run at all if the the cps was bad right
                      Originally posted by Bmwb View Post
                      check the cps < for any rips or if its plugged in lol , if u reused the old one, and reset your ECU if your check engine light has an error code < or check for error codes that would help alot i had my maf unplugged got 1215 < and it wouldnt go away untill i reset it by unplugging the batt , u can reset it with out the batt being unplugged tho

Comment

car wont run at all , idk there should be a way to check if its bad but you will have to wait for the pros to reply or do some research .. mine started , with it almost sliced in half
                        Sold Black BMW E30 325IS
                        1987 bmw e30 euro part out
                        1990 Bmw 325i Cabrio 2.9
                        Metric Mechanic 2.9 stroker
                        Holset Hx35w CXRacing Manifold
                        MegaSquirt ARP HeadStuds
                        OEM HG AEM Methanol injection
                        20psi

Comment

still need help my buddy is saying i have an electrical problem which i see very unlikely since the car ran before i took it apart , hes saying i may have a bad ecu but i swapped it out with a spare and the car peforms the same , how do i peform a stomp test

Comment

Originally posted by e30m20TurbO7 View Post
                            help anyone anything
                            this is the steps I would take in order no idle problem, back to basics:

1. does engine crank over? yes go to 2. if not check battery and connection to starter,

2. engine crank and starts? yes go to 3. If doesnt start check CPS, TPS.(fuel,air, fire)*smell of gas at the sparkplugs? do sparkplugs fire? any obstructions in intake so no air would go in engine or threw IAC.

3. engine starts, cant maintain idle? check IAC, (are the injectors stock?), vaccum leak or too much fuel

check these out to make sure first...
                            Denny

Blogs:
                            http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                            http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                            http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

sorry just watched the videos...I tough they where pics...lol...

to me that sounds like too much gas..gas mixture is wrong to start. remove a sparkplug and check if there is too much gas.
                              Denny

Blogs:
                              http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                              http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                              http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Working...
                              X