Stalling, & Exhaust Popping, Urgent Post Smoke Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling, & Exhaust Popping, Urgent Post Smoke Test

Sure I should know what these symptoms mean but I don't!
    This happened twice today and a several over the past few weeks. After the car warms up, and moderate mid range revs my engine will begin to Sputter and Stall with Popping coming from the exhaust.
    Engine does have a recent valve adjust, newish 19lb w/ Miller MaF and Chip w free flow exhaust.
    Please help point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by mccor023; 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM. Reason: update title
    I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Popping in the exhaust means unburnt gas. How old is your O2 sensor? If it has not been replaced, it is time. Also, take out the plugs to see if they are wet with fuel. Of course, a smoke test to eliminate any vacuum leak would be wise.

Comment

Thanks, O2 sensor is only 1.5 yo and plugs are 2 months so I guess I need track down the leak.

Comment

Hey all, So I had a Smoke Test done this week and found a couple leaks we went ahead and fixed.
        Today though same thing after an hour drive home engine started to stall at off ramp stoplight. There was heavy fuel smell car did stall once, but I was close and managed to get it home.
        Once home after letting it sit I tried to crank it again-(DUMB) a few seconds of cranking later-CRUNK. Then nothing, and nothing.
        Ideas?? Wife just bought me new wheels for the B-day last month, I don't think she'd be happy about a new engine.

Comment

Check for a broken timing belt.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Timing belt is still in tact, I did just notice new oil seapage from HG. But nothing absurd.

Comment

Yippee stumbled across some W8LCR at dealer, so I'll try remove the plugs and try to turn over to see what pops out and hope its just fuel.

Comment

So when it sputters while youre driving, is it like a hard cut out? Or just a loss of power with some backfire? I have a feeling it may be the CPS. I had similar issues a couple years ago, my CPS had proper resistance, but I think the wires got brittle and cracked because it was totally flaky and replacement fixed the problem.
                --Will

Comment

everything about that screams bad MAF or flooded engine. If your getting a little extra leakage, check your oil. I'ts probably watered down with gas.

Comment

So when it sputters while youre driving, is it like a hard cut out? Or just a loss of power with some backfire? I have a feeling it may be the CPS. I had similar issues a couple years ago, my CPS had proper resistance, but I think the wires got brittle and cracked because it was totally flaky and replacement fixed the problem.
                    what CarsSuck said could be correct.. my cars CPS got cut after it contacted the water pump and gave me a shit load of problems and then after looking at a bunch of things it turned out to be that and my backfireing and stalling went away car runs strong now , but im sure there is also a way to test if your CPS is due for replacement
                    Sold Black BMW E30 325IS
                    1987 bmw e30 euro part out
                    1990 Bmw 325i Cabrio 2.9
                    Metric Mechanic 2.9 stroker
                    Holset Hx35w CXRacing Manifold
                    MegaSquirt ARP HeadStuds
                    OEM HG AEM Methanol injection
                    20psi

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwb View Post
                      what CarsSuck said could be correct.. my cars CPS got cut after it contacted the water pump and gave me a shit load of problems and then after looking at a bunch of things it turned out to be that and my backfireing and stalling went away car runs strong now , but im sure there is also a way to test if your CPS is due for replacement
                      iirc, the cps should measure around 550 ohms if it's good
                      - Josh
                      1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                      Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Thanks guys, I just went home between jobs and pulled the sparks and cranked the engine a few times to flush the crap out. It was just fuel so that was a relief, plugs were all kinds of messed up.
                        I replaced w a set of W8LCR's not the super and car started up after a few tries. Car idled fine and drove well after it was warmed, but still don't know why. I'll have to check the CPs when I get off tomorrow.

Comment

Make sure you're using Bosch Copper Core single prong plugs. Properly gapped

Comment

Working...
                          X