Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine almost dying when tapping the throttle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine almost dying when tapping the throttle?

So when i go about hitting the throttle very lightly the engine seems like it wants to die on me i have no idea what can cause this issue if anyone can shed some light on this problem of mine i would be very grateful

Intake leaks are the first things that I'd suspect. A smoke test will tell.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If the engine is almost dying, that means a lot of extra air is getting sucked into the engine without first going through the air flow meter. You may be able to HEAR at least a leak or two also. Open the hood while the engine is idling and listen for hissing noises. I have a slightly rough idle that I'm going to smoke this weekend, and I can hear a rather loud hissing noise coming from underneath the ICV/intake manifold.

To fix the leaks, you will either have to throw parts at it (never recommended), pay a shop to run a smoke test for you (~$100), spray carb cleaner everywhere (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't), or make a simple smoke machine yourself. That last option is what I'm going to try first. Just Google something like "diy smoke machine vacuum leaks" and read up.

The most common places for intake/vacuum leaks are:

-Brake Booster + Hoses
      -Oil Return Tube (goes from intake manifold to oil pan)
      -Injector O-Rings
      -Oil Dipstick O-Rings
      -Lines to and from Evap Canister (right underneath brake master cylinder)
      -Oil Cap
      -Valve cover gasket/rocker shaft plugs
      -Valve cover vent hose (connects to intake)
      -Intake Manifold Gaskets
      -Intake Elbow

*Also, even when an E30 is running in tiptop shape, don't expect stellar throttle response. An airflow meter has a spring loaded door that must be forced open by incoming air before the throttle body. A MAF conversion is the only fix for that.
      Last edited by EatsHondas; 04-19-2013, 10:24 PM.
      1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
      5-Speed Swapped
      M30B35 Swapped
      MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
      260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Working...
      X