Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A look into the M20 head.

Prepare for a bit of reading..

I have taken the liberty to cut an 885 head in half.. dont worry it was cracked. Straight down the middle of the tunnel/combustion chamber. It was a pain in the ass, but could be worth it. Plus its interesting.

this is down the inlet side..

here is where they crack on the 5th cyl underneath the tunnel. The aluminium is just as thick here as it is anywhere else.. Why it cracks here could be answered as this thread gets more involved.

Lets start with the small water gallery holes in between the combustion chambers. Because the hole is so small, over time it becomes clogged from corrosion/rust/debris floating around the cooling system. I had one completely blocked. Standard size they are 4.7mm unblocked.

They head up at an ANGLE into the main watergallery that runs under the cam tunnel. The circular upright you see behind it with the brace is what the headbolt runs through.

On the block side it runs down like so.

This is my idea to help improve the water flow. Feel free to add your opinion.

Drill out the hole to 5mm instead of 4.7mm

or even 6mm

Then you would need to drill out the headgasket to suit, heres how close they would end up being to the combustion chamber.

then matchport the block to that size

the second thing I think would benifit circulation would be this.. Look at the headgasket outer gallery holes.. The jackets are huge, however the headgasket is somewhat limit in water feed.. 8mm on the exhaust and barely 3mm on the intake side I asume this acts as a restricter to keep the water in the cylinder head, Or feeds more to the exhaust side because of the extra heat through the ports.

intake side of headgasket water gallerys

exhaust side

as you can see when corosion sets in it eats up a larger hole

My idea is to largen up the intake side of the gasket to 5/6mm also. However the hole would need to be elongated as the hole in the gasket is as far away from the combustion chamber as possible in the gasket. Opening it straight up would mean contact with the surface of the block/head.

Personally I think the reason number 5/6 suffer so much is because the water circulation is quite poor at the back of the block already because water does not pass between the cylinders in the block, it has to work its way around the back of the block to get back around to the intake side. So more heat is created in that cylinder.. having the smaller holes in the head gasket on the intake side reduces the cooling efficency in that corner.. hense why 5/6 go. Thats my diagnosis anyway.. see what you think.
    Boris - 89 E30 325i
    84- E30 323i

MM modify the goetze head gasket by enlarging the holes and have been doing so for years.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

sub'd
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

This is some great info!
        Gangster rap coincidentally happened to make me do "it"

Comment

well after doing a bit of research into other water jacket designs in different blocks I have found these inner holes to be regarded to as "steam holes". Because the cylinders bores are joined between the cylinders and dont allow water to pass through, a pocket of air can build up in between the cylinders and hinder cooling efficency around the bores. The angled holes allow the airpockets to escape up to the cylinder head, this design is introduced with in mind of vehicles having to sit and idle and water circulation being at a low flow rate...

Im yet to compare steam hole sizes on other engines, will be something to look into when I go back to work on friday. I will check out some headgaskets and see how the BMW design compares.

I still think increasing the size of these will promote the following.

- a slight improvement in coolant bleeding of the bottom end
          - giving the cylinder head more capacity to flow
          - Promoting more water movement in between the cylinders
          - Reducing the risk for clogging

sure this modification on its own will probably only give a a minor improvement, but coupled with enlarging the holes on the intake side should help against head stress in traffic situations
          Boris - 89 E30 325i
          84- E30 323i

Comment

you drew a penis in the second pic. good info though!

Comment

Working...
            X