Help locate this noise...Video included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help locate this noise...Video included

Hey guys, I'm trying to locate this squealing noise I get when my engine is cold. Once it warms up, it goes away, but its there every morning. I thought it may be a belt, but it almost sounds metallic to me. What do you guys think?

It also goes away when I rev it up as you can see in the video. Also, at the end when I shut it down, you can here it wind down and come to a stop.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

To me, it sounds like it's a belt for sure. I'd check all the pulleys to see if they are actually spinning and nothing is actually froze stuck. Make sure the belts aren't glazed.
    '87 325e 2.7i/5spd
    '02 Subaru outback (Still smells like dirty hippie)
    '86 635csi (Sold)
    '87 4KcsQT (Sold)
    '84 318i (Sold)

Comment

replace all 3 V-belts
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Belts/pulleys for sure. Twist and bend them while looking for cracks, fraying, and glazing (shiny spots on the rubber). If they look okay but have been on the car for a few years, replace 'em anyway. Cheap and easy fix all things considered.
        1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        5-Speed Swapped
        M30B35 Swapped
        MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I was able to replace the power steering belt, but the alternator wasn't having it. I released the tension using the star bolt, but it didn't move enough to get the belt out. Any pointers on this?

I didnt even try the AC belt because I wasn't sure if I could change it from the top side. I need to borrow a jack and see if it might be easier from the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by mikracer View Post
            Thanks for the input guys. I was able to replace the power steering belt, but the alternator wasn't having it. I released the tension using the star bolt, but it didn't move enough to get the belt out. Any pointers on this?

I didnt even try the AC belt because I wasn't sure if I could change it from the top side. I need to borrow a jack and see if it might be easier from the bottom.
            Find the bolt that the alternator bracket actually pivots on. Loosen that nut/bolt combo, but don't remove them. Grab the alternator with your paws and jerk it in the loose direction. If that doesn't grant you some extra slack, break out the rubber mallet and whack it in the loose direction.

And yes, you need to get under her to change the A/C belt.
            1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
            5-Speed Swapped
            M30B35 Swapped
            MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
            260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Originally posted by EatsHondas View Post
              Find the bolt that the alternator bracket actually pivots on. Loosen that nut/bolt combo, but don't remove them. Grab the alternator with your paws and jerk it in the loose direction. If that doesn't grant you some extra slack, break out the rubber mallet and whack it in the loose direction.

And yes, you need to get under her to change the A/C belt.

I loosened the lower bolt and it pivoted about 5mm before it felt like it was hitting something, so I couldn't get it off. I'm going to have to tackle it again next weekend. It's definitely coming from the alternator, whether its the alternator itself, or the belt.

Comment

I finally changed the remaining belts (a/c and alternator) today. I ended up having to unbolt the p/s pump from the bracket and taking the alternator out to get the belt off. Get all three belts back on and the screeching is still there. I'm certain its coming from something that is driven by the alternator/water pump belt. I think its the actual alternator, but I'm not going to replace it since it seems to be working fine.

Whats weird is the sound goes away after the car warms up. Anyone have any other ideas??

Comment

It is hard to say whether the noise is a bad bearing or a belt. But since the belts have been replaced the odds are that you have a failing bearing on one of the belt driven parts. An automotive stethoscope can be used to identify the source, or you can remove the belts and check each rotating part for roughness.

If none of the belt driven parts are the source of the noise the timing belt tension becomes the prime suspect. You can check for that by running the engine for less than a minute with all of the belts off.

While bad bearings in the power steering pump or A/C compressor are mostly a nuisance, bad water pump, alternator, fan clutch, or timing belt tensioner bearings are serious. A full failure of any of those can cause serious engine damage. So this something that needs to be found and fixed immediately.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    It is hard to say whether the noise is a bad bearing or a belt. But since the belts have been replaced the odds are that you have a failing bearing on one of the belt driven parts. An automotive stethoscope can be used to identify the source, or you can remove the belts and check each rotating part for roughness.

If none of the belt driven parts are the source of the noise the timing belt tension becomes the prime suspect. You can check for that by running the engine for less than a minute with all of the belts off.

While bad bearings in the power steering pump or A/C compressor are mostly a nuisance, bad water pump, alternator, fan clutch, or timing belt tensioner bearings are serious. A full failure of any of those can cause serious engine damage. So this something that needs to be found and fixed immediately.

Thanks for your input on this! I'll try to take the belts off this weekend and see if it makes noise without any of the belts on. When I started it up this morning and it barely made any noise...so who knows!

Comment

Working...
                    X