Edit: got fuel now but no spark! help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
    checked a few more things today. my cps i pulled off and tested with a magnet to see if it still worked, the ohms jumpped from like 350~to750~ so im assuming it is reading data but now that i pulled it off the aluminum bracket holding it on stripped so now i need a new one of those.

i also checked for the continuity of my pins after i checked my cps and pin 47 and 48 now have continuity. so im back to square one again.
    I have no idea what would happen if you test with a magnet. Test with a plain piece of iron/steel. And when doing the test use DME pins 47/48.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      I have no idea what would happen if you test with a magnet. Test with a plain piece of iron/steel. And when doing the test use DME pins 47/48.
      lol i thought you where supposed to check with a magnet? damn well ill check with plane steel now.. but i do have continuity between 47 and 48
      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
        lol i thought you where supposed to check with a magnet? damn well ill check with plane steel now.. but i do have continuity between 47 and 48
        Continuity between 47/48 will occur whether the CPS or CylID connectors are swapped. Or in the case of a short in the sensor or engine harness wiring.

The trouble shooting guide I posted says:

2) Check the resistance across DME 47 & 48, which should be 500-560 ohms. If
        the CPS is dismounted, the resistance can be seen to change from about 500 to
        540-560 ohms when a ferrous object is brought to the face of the
        sensor. Neither pin should be grounded.

I thought that was pretty clear and if followed exactly will tell if the CPS signal can reach the DME. It won't necessarily tell you if the CPS is good. For that you have to look at the signal with an oscilloscope while cranking.
        Last edited by jlevie; 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          Continuity between 47/48 will occur whether the CPS or CylID connectors are swapped. Or in the case of a short in the sensor or engine harness wiring.

The trouble shooting guide I posted says:

2) Check the resistance across DME 47 & 48, which should be 500-560 ohms. If
          the CPS is dismounted, the resistance can be seen to change from about 500 to
          540-560 ohms when a ferrous object is brought to the face of the
          sensor. Neither pin should be grounded.

I thought that was pretty clear and if followed exactly will tell if the CPS signal can reach the DME. It won't necessarily tell you if the CPS is good. For that you have to look at the signal with an oscilloscope while cranking.
          Yep you where right. I checked continuity and it was good, then I checked resistance and nothing... So my cps has resistance but my pin 47-48 don't so there is my problem so I switched the plugs for cps and reference sensor ( for the fifth time) still nothing...

So I'm checking what pins for continuity from DME to the plug and one was pin 31, looked it up and it had something to do with the throttle... So I was like uhhh what? Then it clicked, I had the throttle plug, cups and the one from the spark plug wires all mixed together 3 ways.

Switches all 3 and the car fired right up.

Everyone says " check if the cps plug and reference plug are mixed up" but there are 3 plugs to always double check because the one on the throttle position sensor is the exact same as the other 2.

I knew it would be something little.. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it :up:
          M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Working...
          X