Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pay for a smoke test or just replace all vacuum hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay for a smoke test or just replace all vacuum hoses?

i've been tracking down a lambda 2 CEL for a couple months.

car runs fine but throws CEL at idle, goes away with increased throttle, sometimes (rarely) dies at idle, runs rich (carbon plugs, 18 mpg city 23 hwy).

sounds like a vacuum leak to me. at first I sprayed carb cleaner around everything I could see without any change in the idle. the boots/hoses all look ok but could definitely still have a leak. dipstick o-ring looks ok.

i've tested the o2 sensor and it seems to be working within normal limits (based on multimeter test)

c191 replaced. thermostat replaced.

fuel/air/oil filters all replaced. ignition system (rotor/cap/wires/plugs) replaced. ICV is working.

So now I just want to fix it.. 95% sure it's a vacuum leak.

is it worthwhile to pay someone to do a smoke test ($80) to pinpoint the leak or am I better off just putting that money towards buying new boot/hoses and just replace everything?

It depends...there are so many places that could contribute to vacuum leaks. Even when you replace everything, it is still worthwhile to do a smoke test to make sure that you have taken care of all vacuum leaks. My suggestion is to build yourself a cheap smoke machine then use it to find, at least, the major leaks. Replace what you need then go from there.

Comment

The complete list
      of possible causes of an intake leak is:

Intake boot
      Throttle body gasket
      ICV hoses & connections
      Brake booster, hoses, and connections
      Crank case breather hose
      Evaporative control hoses, valve, and expansion tank
      Fuel pressure regulator & hose
      Injector seals
      Valve cover gaskets & bungs
      Oil filler cap
      Dip stick o-rings
      Oil return tube o-rings

While leaks in some of those can be found by inspection or by spraying carb
      cleaner on suspect areas, not finding leaks that way doesn't eliminate the
      possibility. Only a smoke test will really work.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

If it were me, I'd replace any vacuum/intake/breather hoses that aren't soft and healthy looking just because. This is a good maintenance practice if you don't know the last time they were replaced, if they feel like hard plastic, if they're visibly cracked, etc. It can only do you good and will get you more familiar with the car.

If you or the PO has already done this, then go ahead and smoke it.
        1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        5-Speed Swapped
        M30B35 Swapped
        MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

I think its worth it just to smoke it so you know exactly if/where you do or do not have vacuum leaks.

Comment

cool. thanks for the replies.

I replaced the valve cover gasket yesterday as well with no change.. yeah I've removed and inspected intake hoses/boots and connectors several times for routine stuff and they appear in decent shape but will try to make some time this weekend to get a smoke test done.

I hate vacuum leaks. part of me just wants to replace injectors/hoses/boots etc EVERYTHING just for the heck of it but it's good to know where the leak is, etc

Comment

Look up the DIY smoke test on here. all you need is an old pint bucket or glass jar with a metal lid and throw in a burning towel.

Comment

^Yup. This is the way I'm going. Just bought the 5 ft of hose to finish the assembly and put it to the test on Saturday.

Here's the link that inspired me: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show....php?p=3530331

Good luck and report back please!

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                Look up the DIY smoke test on here. all you need is an old pint bucket or glass jar with a metal lid and throw in a burning towel.
                Victor
                Rides...
                E30 325i - 1990
                F30 328i - 2014 (DD)
                F25 X3 - 2016 (Family car)
                1974 - 2002 (The ruler of the stable) SOLD

Comment

Working...
                X